Sunday 4 December 2022

Weekend City Trip - El Mero Mero and Pumpkins After Dark (Oct.14, 2022)

It was a fairly nice day out there today so of course you know I got out for a walk to the road and back this morning. 

Looking so happy because it's Friday - my favorite day of the week.

Jason's tomato plants are just covered in tomatoes.
He picked a bowlful for us to eat.

We are heading to the city this afternoon so I made sure to get my 20 minutes done on the treadmill before we left.

Always feels good to get it done.

We had tickets for Pumpkins After Dark tonight at 8:15 but we headed into the city a bit earlier in the afternoon so we wouldn't feel so rushed when we got there.

We stopped at a second hand store in Barrhead on the way - it's one that I've not been too before.
It is just loaded with stuff, a lot of it is junk but there is a lot of good stuff too.
You just need the patience to look through it all.

I found a box full of Christmas picks and florals and greenery and it was just $10 bucks.
What a great deal.

I can't wait to get home and look through it better so I can see what all is in there.

When we got to the city, it was supper time and we were hungry so we decided to try out this new Mexican restaurant that Jason had heard about, El Mero Mero.
It used to be a food truck but was so popular that they recently opened a brick and mortar spot.

I loved their punch buggy they had out front.

They had these weird high round booths with little teeny tables and Freya picked them as a place to sit first but they were very uncomfortable so we moved to a table.

The decor was really cool, I like the painted boxes they had around the light fixtures.

Jason.

Freya and I.

Close up.

She was jumping back and forth from my side to Jason's side.

Not letting him give her kisses.

We ordered chips and salsa with a side of guacamole.
The chips were a bit on the crispy side for me but the guacamole was great.

We also tried their quesadilla soup - it was just ok.

Jason got Birria tacos. they just looked like regular tacos and they came with a dip.
I got some kind of chicken wraps things - the chicken was very dry and not very flavorful.

So the meal was nothing spectacular but the dessert was great.

They had Tres Leches cake so you know we had to get that.
Freya devoured most of it but Jason and I each got a few bites in there.

They also had a lime curd dessert that we tried, it was pretty good too.

After our meal, we had a little time to spare so we stopped at Spirit Halloween again.
Freya loves that store.
A lot of their displays are gone - they must have sold them.

We told Freya she could pick out a costume for Halloween and she picked a Ladybug costume (the character from the Ladybug Miraculous show).

She had to put it on as soon as we got to the car with it.

From there we headed over to Pumpkins After Dark and met up with Kody, Haylee, Crystal, Randy and Zepplyn.

There were lots of cool pumpkins so get ready for lots of pumpkin pictures.
I'm not going to bother to caption all of them.
I think these were actually plastic but they still looked really great.

Day of the Dead theme.

Soldiers.

I wonder if someone did these by hand or if it was a machine of some sort?

They had amazing details.

some Star Wars themed pumpkins.

Some pirates, skulls and dinosaurs.

Some 'beloved' Halloween movie characters.

Medusa, pin guy (I should know how he is but I don't) and an alien.


Spiderman

There's ET.

There were a few food vendors there and just a few little booths and things to look at.
Not a whole lot.

BOO!

A creepy haunted house - just the façade though, you couldn't go inside.

Then the main event, the path of pumpkins.

There were lots of these wooden carved pumpkins lit up along the path.

They were really cool looking.

Then the pumkin displays.
Started out with some motorcycle ones.

Ignore my finger at the top, I was trying to block some of the light from the street lights.


This one was pretty cool.

Don Cherry.

A giant serpent.

Singing pumpkins.

A bunch of zombies.

It was getting darker so I was having a hard time getting the setting right on my camera to take pictures.

Some turned out pretty good.

Others did no, this is meant to be Alfred Hitchcock

and The Birds.

There were some dinosaurs.

Stegosaurus maybe?

T-Rex.

I think this is a raptor.

Some Day of the Dead masks.

I like all the colors.

Tarot cards.

Just a closer view of what the tarot cards looked like.

The Zodiac there in the center.

There was a Quija board complete with the pointer.

Some of the characters from the Lion King.

Tiger.

Giraffe.

There was music playing as you walked through too to kind of add to the experience.

A whole canopy of pumpkins.

Each of these was a little carved pumpkin.

The walls in there were all carved pumpkins too.

So of course I made Jason take a selfie with me.

Looking up at the pumpkin canopy.

Kody, Haylee, Freya and Zepplyn.

Now onto the Nightmare Before Christmas Display.

Oogy Boogie.

Jack and Sally.

Harry Potter.

Voldemort.

Hogwarts.

Andy's toys from Toy Story.

The band from the muppets.

Dr. Suess.

Beauty and the Beast.

The magic flower.

Some characters from Frozen, Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff.

I think this was the Kraken.

Just lots of pumpkins every where you looked.

Some old timey Horror stuff.

Dr Frankenstein, his bride and Frankenstein.
I think this is about where my camera died so Jason took a few pictures for me after this.

We are in Alberta so of course there was an ode to rodeo.


I especially loved the rodeo clown.

A police car.

There was a whole super hero section as well but the main one I wanted a picture of was Groot.

There was a little ride with a 3D movie that we all did at the end.
It was kind of cheesy but fun.

A neat picture op at the very end.

Zepplyn and Freya.

Afterwards we all headed over to the hotel.
We are staying at the Coast Edmonton Plaza downtown.
We've been staying there a lot lately - we quite like it.

I was hungry and I wanted Sepp's but they were closed so I just ordered pizza from somewhere else.
We thought Freya was going to spend the night with us but right at bedtime she decided that she wanted her mom so we took her over there and she spend the night with her Mom and Dad.

Just as well anyway, Jason and I want to get out for runs in the morning and now we won't have to worry about waking her up.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment