Friday 9 June 2023

Pop Up Pizza, Pizza Rock, Evel Pie, Princess Diana Exhibit, Bellagio Conservatory and Hattie B's (Apr.15, 2023)

We had a slow start today.
We went to get my new fave drink at Starbucks, Vanilla Cream Cold Brew, but it was super busy so we skipped it and got premade Starbucks drinks at the hotel shop instead.

Then we got ready and headed out for a run.
We decided to both run towards Fremont Street and meet up there for lunch.

It's only about 2 k down there so I got there a bit before Jason (he ran 5k) but not much.

My exercise details.

My average pace and splits.

We met up at Evil Pie.

It was closed though, it was around 10:30 and it didn't open until 11.

So we decided to check out Fremont Street a bit.

There were people out and about but not as many as there are down here in the evenings.

Jason knew of another pizza place in the Plaza Hotel called Pop Up Pizza.
It also didn't open until 11 but it was 10:50 by this time so we decided to just wait for it to open.
The workers there were really rude - there was no indication that they weren't open so people kept going up to the til and they would basically yell at them.

They should  have had a sign out or something because it was hard to tell or at least been a bit more friendly when people asked.
Anyway....
When they opened we ordered two slices.

We got a sausage and pepperoni.

And a Suprema.
The pizza was pretty good but I don't think I'd go back there just because the service was so terrible.

Next up, we walked over to Pizza Rock.

We've eaten here before but today we wanted to just try a couple of slices.

There were lots of options.

We got a Hawaiin Hitman

And a Purple Potato.

There had an outdoor seating area so we sat there to eat it.

Both slices were good but I didn't care for the red sauce on the Hawaiin Hitman.

So the Purple Potatoe was my favorite.

Hawaiin Hitman and Purple Potatoe.



Then it was back to Evel Pie which was now open.

The restaurant is actually owned by a relative of Evel Knievel so it is all EK themed.

It was kind of dark inside.

We tried and artichoke and spinach slice.

Along with a triple pepperoni.
They were both very good as well.

Some grafitti we saw on the way back to the Strat.

A lot of people say that this part of town between the Strat and Fremont is kind of sketchy and it kind of is but walking in the day there is perfectly fine.
I didn't feel afraid at all.

There are a lot of homeless folks, it's very sad, I'm sure there are so many stories of how they end up that way and in that position.

We saw Luv-It Custard so we decided to stop in for a custard.

Jason got a cherry sundae.

I got orange custard with chocolate sauce and pecans.
Weird combo but it was good.

We showered and changed and headed back out again.
Went to the Sahara to hop onto the monorail.

Some of the artistic displays in The Sahara.

We took the Monorail over to MGM and when we got off and were walking through MGM, we saw a frozen yogurt place - I'm always a sucker for those places.

You can always tell between mine and Jason's - I always have some kind of chocolate.

His is always mainly fruit toppings.

We walked through MGM to get to the Strip and they ahd some cute panda's here and there.

Panda's are so chunky and cute.

We passed by a Marshall's so we stopped in to do a bit of shopping.
I picked up a top for myself and we each got Freya a dress.

Then we made our way over to the Crystal shops

There was a Princess Diana exhibit there that I really wanted to go to.
I may not caption all of these pictures - they are all just of the exhibit and are kind of self explanatory.


We were living in Germany when all the news about Charles and Diana becoming a couple came out.

 I was only 8 years old but I very clearly remember seeing all the newspaper articles about the engagement and the wedding and I was smitten with Diana.
I mean, who wasn't?
I wanted to be a Princess and she seemed to be living this dream life.
I wasn't envious though, I just adored her.


The dress itself.

Such an iconic photo - I remember seeing it every where.

It certainly was.

A Diana doll in her wedding gown.

One of the main reasons I wanted to come to this exhibit was because they said they had Diana's wedding dress on display and I so wanted to see it in the flesh.

Turns out it was a replicate but it was still neat to see.

It was in a glass case and the whole train was in there.
Man, this thing must have been heavy to wear.

They even had a replication of her shoes.

The dress in the design stage.

Wedding photo.

The flower girls at the wedding - they were so precious looking.

Replications of the flower girl and page boy outfits.

Another Diana doll in a wedding dress.

Royal Doulton Dolls representing a bunch of the royals in their wedding gowns.

Princess Margaret.

Princess Anne.

Queen Elizabeth II.

Princess Diana.

Catherine Middleton.

Sarah Ferguson.

A royal honeymoon.

I liked reading some of the letters and things that they wrote.

This one was a thank you card for a gift.

This is a statement from Charles about his and Diana's wedding day, very hard to read but this is what it says.
"We still cannot get over what happened that day. Neither of us can get over the atmosphere; it was electric, I felt, and so did my wife, it made us both extraordinarily proud to be British" Charles

Welcoming their babies.
William.

Then Harry.

They were cute little guys and I remember thinking how she loved them so much.

I could never really decide if Charles was handsome or not, sometimes I thought he was, others not.
(Not that that really matters, just an observation and my own personal opion).

Some quotes of Diana's (speaking about her boys in this case of course).

I always thought her love for them just emanated off of her - shone off of her like this beacon.

Another dress whe wore.

It was an authentic Klondike dress and she wore it on a trip here to Alberta, to Fort Edmonton Park.

There were some cards and letters on display that she'd given to friends over the years.

She seems to have had a pretty good sense of humor.

This was one of my favorites.

It was hard to take pictures of a lot of this because it was under glass so there was always a glare.

I still remember when I found out that she'd passed away.
I think I've told the story on here before but I was at a bar that night with friends and there was a live band performing.
The singer would speak between songs and at one point he said something about Princess Diana dying and I thought what a terrible thing to joke about.

Then later I noticed on some of the tv's around the bar area that they were showing all these pictures and videos of Diana so I stopped and actually paid attention to it then suddenly across the screen at the bottom it says "Buckingham Palace confirms that Princess Diana was killed in a car accident tonight in Paris"
My heart just dropped to my feet and I was instantly devastated.
I was the designated sober driver for my friends that night so I found them and told them I had to leave.
I could drive them home then if they wanted to go but I just couldn't stay, I actually felt distraught.

None of them wanted to leave so I just went home and cried and cried.
I felt this overwhelming need to go to England for some reason.

I didn't go obviously, like what would I have done there anyway.
But I was upset for a long time over it.
Funny to feel so emotional over a person that I never even met.

I watched the funeral and I remember seeing her boys walking with their dad and their uncle and my heart just broke for them.
I had a boy of my own by then so I imagined him growing up without a mom and it just made it that much more real in my mind.

They had some more of her gowns on display.
I think the black and white one in the middle is the one I remember the most.

I like that they had the dress.

Then they had a picture of her actually wearing it.

I don't really remember this one.

There she is wearing it though.

This one is similar to the one they called her 'Revenge Dress'.

She did look great in it but then she looked great in everything that she wore.

A floral one.

It looks better on her than it does on it's own.

The one I remember the most.

She was just always so stunning.

Gadco blue lace gown.
It doesn't really look blue in person.

It does in the pictures though.

Some of her hats.

I love, love, love this sweater.
They actually had a replicate you could buy at the exhibit but it was WAY out of my price range.

This next part ended up being my favorite part of the exhibit.

The Story...

Diana wonders what to do with all of her gowns, William suggests selling them and donating the proceeds to charity.
Such a great idea on his part - it was kind of the first time something like that was done and now it's much more common.

She picks 78 dresses to sell (I know, it says 79 but they were numbered and they didn't want to use 13 since it's unlucky so they skipped that number).

The auction is a huge success, the highest bid was on the dress she wore while dancing with John Travolta at the White House.

Then this is what was my favorite, they had little mini versions of all the dresses displayed (a bit larger than Barbie size I think) and they were so stinking cute.
Cute doesn't quite seem like the right word to describe them but everything that is itty bitty is cute to me, you know, like baby shoes and socks and miniature versions of household items for dollhouses).

I took a video of all the mini dresses.

Then a few close ups along with the write ups for a few of them.

The above one was Diana's favorite.

The 'Revenge Dress'.

It's such an iconic dress and raised over $74,000!

She really did seem to embody empathy and kindness.

She didn't just preach it either, she went out and practiced it.

Another of her outfits.

Prince William and Prince Harry.
It's sad that there is a rift in the family now - they always seemed to have such a great brotherly bond.

Next they had one of Kate Middleton's dresses on display.

Here she is wearing it.
I am such a huge fan of hers.

Another gorgeous dress of Kate's.

And there she is wearing it.

Then a giant portrait of her was the last display before the end.
I enjoyed the exhibit and I'm glad we went.

The Crystal Shops are right by the Cosmopolitan so we decided to head back to the food court there to see how the line up at Hattie B's looked.

It wasn't too bad so Jason was actually able to finally try the Nashville Hot he's been wanting/trying to for a few trips now.

It's spicy chicken sandwich and you can get it as hot as you like, the original is very hot.

I got chicken tenders - I went much milder - I can't handle too much heat.
They served them on a slice of bread which I thought was odd.

They had banana pudding so we tried that as well.

Good thing we went when we did because the line up had grown while we were there.

It was way down past Hattie's.
The chicken was good but I don't know if it was worth waiting in a line up this long.

A view of The Paris from the Bellagio side of the street.

We decided to go in and check out the Bellagio Conservatory.

Just the lobby itself at Bellagio is gorgeous.

The check in counter.

They change out the theme here 4 times a year so if we are here, we normally try to come and see it.

Moi.

Love the fountain.

Zoomed in a bit for a better look.

I loved the angels/cherubs and the lanterns hanging from the ceiling.

The gazebo was beautiful as well.

Just look at that archway covered in flowers - GORGEOUS!

Trying to get everything in the selfie of us.

Another angel.

A different view of the gazebo.

B for Bellagio.

The hanging flowers everywhere were so pretty.

Some video of the Bellagio Conservatory April 2023.

I wish there was such thing as Smell-o-Vision because it smelled amazing in there.

Another of the Conservatory.

One more of the gorgeous Bellagio Conservatory.
As you can see, it was quite busy while we were there.

We left there and watched the fountains for a bit from the Bellagio side (usually we are on the road side).

Jason took the selfie for me and cut me off on purpose.
He's so funny (in case you couldn't tell, I said that sarcastically).

A good shot of the Eiffel Tower over at The Paris.

We watched the fountains until dusk/dark.

They are my favorite, I could go back and watch them every day and enjoy it just as much each time.

The backdrop from this side is nice too although I do prefer to be on the other side.

Look at how high the water goes, from this angle it looks like it is taller than the buildings.

All the dramatics at the end.

One last super tall one for the end.
It's nice to watch in the day time but the night is nice too because then you get to see all the lights too.

We left there and walked up to Resorts World.

Along the way, we stopped in to check out this tree that was all lit up on Caesar's grounds.
It was so pretty.

We got Boba drinks and sat out on their patio to drink them.

There was barely anyone out there and I don't know why - it's such a nice area.
The drinks were so tasty.

I found my piggy game I like so we gambled a bit.
Jason won a little, I did not.

We saw some giant cookies at a kiosk in the food court so we got a couple to go and walked back to the Strat.

We ate them when we got back to our room - they weren't really that great.

I found my piggy game and tried it again and this time I was a little luckier and ended up winning 70 bucks.
We headed back to our room around 11 pm.
My right hip was feeling a bit sore.

I think it's reallly nice down here by The Strat.

A lot of people say that it's a seedy part of town but we think it's nice and we quite like it.

We did put on nearly 35,000 steps today so that is likely why.

That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment