Thursday 29 June 2023

Good-bye Forever to Dimples and Hello Saskatoon (June 23, 2023)

We decided to take a trip to Saskatoon for the weekend so I took today off and Monday as well.
We've been there twice before and really liked it but never had a chance to check out the river valley area so we thought we would take the opportunity to do that.

Freya spent the night last night so we didn't get as early of a start as we would have liked but  we were on the road by 10:30.

We've been getting a lot of rain and there has been some flooding in Whitecourt and in Fort Assiniboine.

We took some pictures as we were crossing the bridge and the river has definitely overflowed it's banks.

The flooding kept going after the bridge as well - all of this is not normally under water.

It still hasn't reached its peak either, they are expecting it to do that later tonight.
It isn't raining right now however so hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

We had to stop by the car to get all of our personal belongings out of it and get the licence plate off of it then they will be towing it off for jumk.

It was a good car while it lasted - it's sad to see it go but that just means we'll get to try something new now.

It's weird, the headlights didn't even get broken but everything around it did.
So it's good bye forever to Dimples - my pet name for our hail damaged little Mitsubishi - you were a great car while you lasted!

After we got that done, we hit the road for Saskatoon.
It's a 5 hour drive so we didn't want to dilly dally.

We picked up some road trip snacks  - mainly fruit and veggies.
This strawberry was as big as Jason's hand.

We did have to make several bathroom stops for me so it ended up taking us about 6.5 hours to get there.

We found the air bnb we had booked for the next two nights and this was on the sidewalk where we parked.

The airbnb had a little welcome sign for us.

It was just a small little place with the tiniest balcony in the world - you could basically just stand out there and that's it.
The couch wasn't the comfiest but it wasn't awful either and we plan on spending most of our time out and about anyway so it's just fine.

The bedroom was small and it had three entrances - kind of overkill if you ask me.
The bed was small and cozy - just a double and we are used to a king but again, it was perfectly fine.

The kitchen was nice and the cupboards were very nice.

The bathroom.

The view from the apartment.

Another view from the balcony - there are four buildins in the complex it seems and I think they are all connected.
There are businesses on the bottom floor like a coffee shop, hair salon and a gym and looks like a few more are in the works.
It's a really nice set up.

The description of the airbnb said that it was right near the river valley so we headed out for a walk to explore a bit and sure enough, the river valley was right down the street.

It was so beautiful.
This is looking down from the street.

My Honey and I doing what we love - exploring a new place.

There just happened to be a hot air balloon off in the distance.

And it was coming closer as we were standing there.

It was just a gorgeous day out there.

We went down onto the river walk and just followed it along.
There were some murals.

We went under a few bridges.

There were a whole bunch of painted rocks along the rivers edge.
We actually saw a family there and their kids were painting on a couple rocks while we were there.

Some of my faves.

The gold fish was super cute plus wow - what a great painting.

We both fell in love with the area immediately.

A fox painted on the ground.

We were hungry and googled best places to eat nearby.
This place, Hearth, came up and it had good reviews and was nearby so we headed over there.
It ended up being right along the river valley area.

This was inside the building the restaurant was in - these are all spinner things - it looked super cool.

We didn't have a reservation of course so she said unfortunately the inside was full but we could sit outside if we wanted.
Are you kidding me?
In good weather I will always chose to sit outside if I have the option.
Especially here with this amazing view being right next to the river and today with the amazing weather they were having in Saskatoon.
I would have thought the patio would have been the spot to be all booked up but it worked out well for us.

Oh yea - got me some new earrings at one of our gas station stops today.

I wanted to try to eat fairly healthily while we were here so I ordered the cucumber cottage cheese salad to start.
It had some bread crumbs on it and some pickling spices.
It was very good - very fresh tasting - I quite liked it.

Then we shared the Pike appetizer which as you can see was some slices of pike, salmon, dill, garlic and some potato bits.
It tasted fine but was a little too frufru for me.
Not much to it and not worth it for the price.

For my main I had the trout on a quinoa salad with hummus and I enjoyed it.

Jason had chicken and dumplings - it was chicken thigh - I didn't really care for it that much.
It had corn gnocchi and that was really good and those deep fried chick peas were my favorite.

All in all we enjoyed the meal but not sure if I'd be jumping to go back.

After we ate, we did some more walking along the river.
There are several bridges just in this one particular section and they all look different - I really liked the looks of this one.

Walkiing back over to the apartment there were a bunch of people gathered in a parking lot next to our apartment with their cars - a lot of young people.
They weren't being rowdy or anything, just hanging out and showing off their cars.
This is one of the cars there that caugh Jason's interest.

We wanted to go to Walmart to get a couple things but when we got there it was closed (even though according to the hours posted online it should have still be open).
So we found a Superstore nearby and kind of raced over there - we got there 15 minutes before they were closing and the place was just hopping.

We divided and conquered - Jason got a few things and so did I then we met back at the register with minutes to spare.
I got us some sugar free ice cream so we had that as a treat when we got back to the airbnb.

That's all for today, I didn't track my points today so not sure if I got a blue dot but I'm pretty sure I did stay within my points allotment.
It's hard to tell sometimes when you eat out - it really is just a guesstimate but I feel like I made healthy options and so I'm feeling good.

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to check out a new area - it's always so fun and exciting.
 

That is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment