Sunday 18 June 2023

Evacuated (May 16, 2023)

It is getting super smoky around here.

When I got to the office this morning it was hard to see.

This was looking up the highway - it looks like fog but it's smoke and there was ash in the air and you could smell the smoke too.

I think the fire is about 20k from town or so and the wind direction changed this morning so it is actually blowing the fire towards town.
Of course that was all the talk at the office this morning.

On the town web site it does say that we are on alert for an evacuation and to be ready.
Shennelle's father works for the town and she said they asked him if he would be able to stay and help out with things in town if there is an evactuation so she figures they are getting ready to announce one.

Then around 11 we heard that the fire is getting close to our field and they are shutting it all in.
So there was a lot of activity going on - folks talking on the radio, scrambling to find everyone and get in touch with everyone.

So at 11:30 I decided to go home and pack up a few of the things I want to take with me if we do have to leave.

I was just thinking about things like baby books, jewellery that my Dad gave to me, Dad's memory bear, some artwork the kids have done for me over the years and of course pictures.
There is no way I could ever take all of my pictures but I wanted to take some of the older albums anyway.

I got all of that packed up then Jason and I went to Subway for lunch.
We just finished eating and I was about to head to the office when the evacuation alert came across on our phones.

It's kind of like the Amber Alert they do for kids, it comes across everything, phones, television and likely radio too.
This is what they posted on their website.

So right away Jason booked us a room in Westlock and then we packed up the car and his truck with all the things we were taking with us.

I also called and checked on Rob and Morgan because neither of them have vehicles so I wanted to see what their plans were.
Then also called Kody and Haylee to see what their plans were.

I went around and shut all the doors in the house hoping if a fire came it might slow it down some and Jason locked up everything outside.

It was kind of a surreal feeling looking at everything and wondering if this possibly could be the last time that I see it all.

It's just stuff of course and can mostly be replaced but it's stuff that means something to us and it would be very difficult if we did lose it but at the same time, I knew that we would be ok.

It was still a very strange feeling though.

The last thing we did was put the cats in their kennels and head out.

Jason took Professor Snuggles with him in his truck and I took Mom and Paddington with me.

As we were getting in our vehicles we could see that their were police going door to door checking on folks and letting them know they had to leave and I guess seeing what their plans were.

Paddington was not happy to be in the car.
He was panting like a dog but so hard though that I was worried he might have a heart attack or something.
We ended up letting him out of the kennel and that helped a bit but he was still very much in panic mode.
Jason ended up letting Professor Snuggles out in his truck too.

Jason texted to say he wanted to stop in Barrhead to see Freya, they were all going to stay there with Haylee's grandparents.
Freya is going to have her tonsils out on Thursday so they are heading to the city tomorrow but Jason will be back to work tomorrow so he just wanted to see her for a bit first.

There was an evacuation center in Barrhead that they wanted everyone to register at who'd been evactuated so while we were there, Jason and I walked over and registered.

It was kind of like old home week, we were running into all our Swan Hills neighbours but in a different town.
I thought they were very helpful there at the reception area and they did a great job.

We went back and visited at Rita and Lloyd's for a bit then headed out to Westlock to check in.
The cats were still in the car and I just wanted to get them to their destination.

The hotel Jason booked allowed pets for an extra charge - we got two adjoining rooms so Mom and Rob had one and Jason and I had the other.
We opened the door between the two so the cats could have more room to roam but they immediately hid under the beds and would not come out.

We went to a little restaurant in town to have some supper.
Jason and I.

Mom

I got the Greek Chicken with baked potato.
It included two whole chicken breasts and I loved the seasoning on them.

After supper, it was back to the room then Jason and I headed out for a walk because I needed to get the rest of my steps in.

Bonnie had come to her daughter's here in Westlock so initially we were going to walk there for a visit but it was just way further than I wanted to walk so we skipped the visit and just headed back to the room.

I'm going to head into St Albert office tomorrow and work at the office there to finish off payroll and Jason is back to work tomorrow.

I have a room booked in the city for tomorrow night, Kody, Haylee and Freya will meet me there.
She goes in first thing Thursday morning for her operation and I wanted to be there with them just for support plus for my benefit to know that Freya is ok.

Just a funny meme I saw today - this is so me!


That is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment