Sunday 18 June 2023

Jasper Canadian Rockies Half Marathon/10k (Apr.29, 2023)

It was kind of nice not to have to get up early and rush off to a run.

Instead we went for a bit of a walk.

I felt like I needed to use the washroom so I went for a short run to kind of get things moving.

It worked kind of, not as much as I would have liked though.

We walked to the coffee shop at the hotel next door then we came back and had a bit of a soak in the hot tub.

We were able to use the outdoor one, there was no one else in it.

It's nice - you don't get over heated because you have the heat of the hot tub but your top is out in the cool fresh air.

It was shaping up to be a nice day out there, the sky was nice and clear and it was warming up nicely.
The run was starting at 1 pm for Jason and 1:15 for me so around noon, we walked down to the starting point.

It was way at the other end of town but it only took us about 25 minutes to walk there.

There were lots of people already gathering and stretching.

Lots of volunteers milling about - they had a food station with oranges, bananas, cookies, water and protein bars.
We shared a protein bar and I had a couple of oranges.
I didn't want to eat too much because I still hadn't gone to the bathroom as much as I'd liked or thought I needed to (TMI?)
I was actually kind of worried how things were going to go for me.

Race day selfie.

We got some pictures in front of the race sign.

Moi.

More and more folks were showing up - I think it said online that there were over 900 registrants.

Oh one more selfie, why not.

I was trying to get the mountains in the background.

There were a lot of people milling about.

I tried going to the washroom again, just in time too because the line up just went crazy right after I went.

We kind of found a spot to sit and do some stretching.

Then it was time for the half marathoners to line up at the start.

And the 21k folks are off.
I found a spot so I could get Jason on his way by, of course, he was on the opposite side but I did get a shot of him.

Then I got in the line up.
The 10k folks were off at 1:15.

I was a bit nervous about the whole bathroom situation and it's been a long time since I've run 10k
My goal was to just run the whole thing and not worry about times.

The scenery along the way was gorgeous so I had to pull out my phone and snap some shots while I was running.
There was still a lot of snow on the river.

This lake was just gorgeous.

I had a tough time honestly.
I was running really slowly and lots of people were passing me but I just kept going.
I wasn't worried about any of that, I just wanted to finish.
The bathroom didn't end up being an issue, I didn't have to go at all.
Around 3k, I suddenly felt really sick, like I was going to throw up but I had a granola bar in my pocket and I took a bite and that helped.

The very last km was a long uphill stretch and I just couldn't do it.
I ended up having to walk a bit right at the 9k mark.
I walked most of it, I thought once I got to the top of the slop that I'd run the rest of the way but I felt pretty wobbly.
I stopped and walked a bit more then ran the rest of the way to the finish line.
My calves felt really cramped up, that has never happened to me before.

I got my medal - they gave me the 21k one first so I had to go back and change it then I tried to stand at the finish line to wait for Jason to come through but I felt like I was going to pass out so I had to go find a place to sit down.
I sat in a place where I could watch for him and I did see him but he got through the finish line before I could get back to take his picture.

He really gunned it at the end there.
He did really well.

That's 10k in the books for me today.

Our exercise details.

You can see I was getting slower and slower as the race went on then I had to walk most of that final km.
I forgot to turn off my fitbit as soon as I got back so that last little bit I wasn't running for.

We stopped and got ourselves and ice cream for a treat while we were walking back to the hotel.

I got raspberry chocolate truffle and hazelnut and even splurged for the waffle cone.

Back at the room, we put our hot tub gear back on and headed into the pool/hot tub.
We kind of jumped back and forth between the two.
It was a really nice way to relax after the run.

I'd posted a selfie of Jason and I right before the run and my cousin asked if I was bald because my hair was all back and I had a hat on.

So I took a picture to show her that I did still have all my hair.

There it is.

We decided that we wanted to go for a bike ride this evening but first we wanted to get some supper and we decided on hamburgers at the Legion.

We'd eaten there before and the hamburgers were good plus they had outdoor seating so we could take advantage of the gorgeous weather.

It was super nice outside.

The only table left had no umbrella so we were right in the sun.

That was perfectly ok with me.

I don't think Jason minded either.
They were busy there but a lot of people were just drinking, not eating.
We only ordered a hamburger and some nachos and it took us almost 2 hours to get our food.
We were pretty annoyed by the time it finally came out.
I don't think we'll go back.

So it was much later than expected when we finally got to go for our bike ride so we didn't ride as long as we'd thought we would.
We did get 13k in.
We went along the lake we'd ran by earlier in the run.
Edith Lake.
I used up all the battery on my phone looking at social media while we were waiting for our food so no pictures but it is very pretty there.
We saw more elk along the route too.

The exercise details.

We were ready for bed by the time we got back from our bike ride.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment