Tuesday 26 July 2022

Celebrating Dad (July 9, 2022)

 Woke up a bit later than I wanted to which means I headed out on my run a bit later than expected but that's ok.

I had an amino energy drink and headed out on the Confederation Trail.

I had to run 13k today so I just planned to run until I reached that distance then my sister was going to pick me up.

I figured it would get me to Summerside and it did.

The ocean smell here used to be terrible - I think it was rotting seaweed - but they've done something to get rid of it which is great because it's always been a beautiful area - now you can actually hang out here.

13k done!
I love this Confederation Trail they have here - it's very well maintained, mainly flat and it has markers every kilometer.
So awesome for running.

Exercise details and average heart rate.

My average pace and splits.
What a great number!

My video check in for today.

While I was running, Pam, Lisa and Jennifer made sandwiches for the Celebration of Life today.
I felt really bad that I didn't help out but they said it didn't take them that long.
I really appreciated them doing it.

Around noon we headed over to the hall and set things up.
We had sandwiches, sweets and then I had some photo albums and a guest book.

We had said that it would start at 1 pm and it was just a drop in type thing.
I wasn't sure how many people would come but it ended up being a great turnout which was very nice.

My friend Paula came and I was so happy to see her.
She's not a Facebooker but luckily her boyfriend is and he's friends with Jennifer on Facebook so he saw the post about this event today and told Paula.

My cousin Tricia and her partner Gilles drove up from Charlottetown and my Uncle Wade and his wife Brenda (not pictured) came from Tignish.
My cousin Amanda came as well.
They are from my mothers side so it was very nice of them to come.

There's Brenda along with two of mom's sisters (Coleen and Arlene) sitting with Mom.

Just some more pictures of the attendees.

My Dad's sisters arriving.

I was trying to make rounds and talk to everyone but there were a lot of people there that I didn't know.

Adrien and Mel.

My Dad's sisters and brother, Marjorie, Paula, Adrian and Gloria.

I went over to say hi to Adrian when he arrived and he had to ask me who I was.
He had a stroke a couple years ago and it affected his short term memory.

He's always had such a big personality and been so loud and expressive, this meeting wasn't like that at all and I felt really sad that he didn't know me.

We don't often get together on my Dad's side of the family so we thought it would be a great opportunity to get a picture of all of us that did make it.

My cousin Patrick also showed up a while later - we should have taken another picture with him but we didn't think of it.

I've always thought there was a resemblance between my Aunt Marjorie and I - not so sure now but definitely we have the same squinty eyes.

Some of my Dad's cousins that came (My Uncle Jimmy's brothers and sisters).

More cousins of his.
My mom's sister Coleen married my Uncle Jimmy who also happens to be my Dad's cousin so we've always been extra close to Jimmy & Coleen and Jimmy's extended family.

I'm not even sure who these folks are.
I know the blond lady is my cousin Wendy's friend.

I was so touched that all these people who haven't seen my Dad for years took the time out of their day today to come and show up for him.

We figured it was a good opportunity to get a picture of the four of us together too.
It's not often that we are all together.
Jennifer, Adrien, me and Rob.

I love my brothers and sister so much.
Funny how I'm the eldest and also the shortest.

I think we must have had 60-70 people come through which was just wonderful.
Everyone really enjoyed the photo albums I think, there were always people up there looking at them.

Everyone had kind of left by 3 so we cleaned up the hall, packed everything back into the vehicles and headed back over to Coleen & Jimmy's.

It was a nice day so I decided to walk back.
On the way I met my Tante's Marjorie and Paula who were out for a walk.
We met right by the house they all grew up in.

I stopped and chatted with them for a bit then soon enough Adrien, Mel, Rob, Jimmy, Jennifer and Mom all met up with us there.

Jimmy had spoken with the guys that live in the house now and asked if we could spread a few of Dad's ashes there and they were ok with it so that's what we did.

Adrien did the honors.

Dad had specifically requested that some of his ashes be spread on the water in PEI so we headed over to the Creek next.

This is where Dad would have swam as a little boy.

Mom, Dad and I actually lived in the house to the right there for a short time after I was born.
We only sprinkled a few of his ashes here then we took the rest down to the shore.

We decided that we would spread the rest of them here.

It was only us four kids, Jimmy, Mom and Mel.

Rest in Peace Dad, you are gone way too soon - I hope you know how much you were loved.

It turned out to be a nice day to do this and I'm glad we were able to all be there to do it together.
I wish Dee could have been here too.

I think Jimmy loved Dad just as much as we did and I'm glad he was there with us today.

He's always been like a second father to us all so it was very fitting.

Another picture of the four of us.

Had to get one with Mom and Mel too.

Yup - my second Dad!

When we got back to Jimmy & Coleen's, Betty showed up unexpectedly.
She drove over from Saint John.

She had wanted to come to the Celebration of Life but Rodger's is down so bank machines weren't working all across Canada so she wasn't sure if she'd be able to pay for the bridge and stuff.

They got some of it back up and running today so she headed over.
It was nice to see her.

There were several of us that hadn't seen Todd & Lisa's barn that they've been building so we headed out there to have a look at it.

They saved a peg/pin for Betty to pound in so she did that when we got there.

The second to last pin.
They have one more they saved for Todd's Aunt who also happens to be named Betty.

Betty pounding in her peg at Todd & Lisa's barn.

The view from upstairs in Todd & Lisa's barn - Amazing!

They designed the whole barn themselves then they also cut out all the beams and built the whole thing.
So much talent.

This upstairs part is going to be Lisa's stained glass workshop.

Mom and Jen.

Everyone getting ready to head back to Coleen and Jimmy's.

Lisa picked up a treat for us - fresh oysters.

I tried shucking a few but couldn't do it.

So Todd shucked them all and Adrien and I helped eat them.
Nobody else was really interested - they just don't know what they are missing.

Raw oysters, yum, yum!

We had leftovers for supper and just did some visiting again.
I love spending time with family.

We had strawberry shortcake for dessert - my absolute favorite!

Those girls are stuck to their Gigi like glue!

They did warm up to me enough to let me read them a story though.

Dancing on the table.

Ha ha - such cuties.

Me, Pam, Betty, Jen, Mom.
Betty was looking at the photo album I'd made.

Just hanging with the fam.

Adrien and Mel are heading out tomorrow so this is the last we'll get to see them on this trip.

It was so nice to visit everyone - I was tired by the end of the night though.

Jen and I went back to Pam's and I noticed this Welcome sign on her doorstep that I really liked and want to recreate when I get home.

Haylee posted this cute picture of Freya and the sunset.
I wish I could have brought her here with me.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment