Saturday 5 January 2019

San Diego Trip Day Two (Nov.15, 2018)

One of the main reasons we came to San Diego was to go to a clinic in Mexico and get some screening done for Cancer.
We had an appointment for today and after talking to the hotel clerk, who just happens to be from Tijuana, we decided the best way to get to Mexico would be to take the public transit train then walk through customs.

What a gorgeous sunny day, waiting for the train.
It's still early too so it's such a treat to see all this sunshine.

It's pretty quiet around here for a weekday downtown.

I wonder where all the people are?

It was pretty easy to get ourselves a train pass, cheap too.

The train ride was great, easy peasy.
We just enjoyed the scenery along the way.

When we first got off the train, we had a difficult time finding out where to go to walk through to Mexico.

Eventually we had to ask for directions but we found our way.

With all the gates and stuff, it felt like we were walking into jail.

There it is!
Going through customs was pretty straight forward.
One thing that I noticed that I found interesting was that their border security folks didn't have uniforms, they were just dressed in normal clothes.

When we got over to the Tijuana side, it didn't really look that different.
There were cabs right outside of the building and we grabbed one to go to the clinic.
He didn't really speak English that great so there was a bit of a language barrier.
He had trouble finding the clinic too and finally I had to google it on my phone then I let him use the GPS on my phone to get us there.
We got there though.

I guess it was kind of like a normal medical clinic anywhere else.
We gave blood and a urine sample then waited around to talk to the doctor.

There was a little cafe in the lobby and since we'd had to fast for the bloodwork, we were a little hungry.

I got a mango smoothie but it was gross and I ended up throwing it away.

We got egg sandwiches too - I ate mine but My Honey threw his away.

We waited about an hour to talk to the doctor.
He took us into his office and talked to us together.
He asked very thorough questions but he would answer his cell sometimes in the middle of talking and his office door was wide open so people would come in and out.
It wasn't very professional but whatever.

He asked if I wanted to get a check up, including like a pap smear and I figured why not just get it done.
But he asked My Honey to come in the room too while he did it which I guess I understand why but boy, talk about awkward.
I let him know that I would prefer that he not be there so My Honey didn't stay in the room but it really just threw me for a loop.
Anyway, got through the check, it wasn't that bad and then he sent us to see this secretary/accountant of the office

She went through all the tests he recommended and the costs and when she said what he recommended for me alone would cost $910.00 US, we were shocked.

My Honey said no way did we need all that stuff, all we wanted was the cancer screening so it dropped down to $250.00 each, which was much better.

They made us an appointment to come back for the results on Saturday at 3:30 pm.

We got a cab back over to the border crossing.
We had him stop at a liquor store on the way because I was looking for a bottle of tequilla with a scorpion in it for my brother and I thought maybe I could get it cheaper there.
They only had one bottle and it and I had seen the same bottle at a store in San Diego last night where it was surprisingly much cheaper.
So I skipped that and we just carried on to the border.
When I saw the line up of cars waiting to get through, I was so grateful that we had decided to walk.

Holy heck, it would have taken hours to get through that line up.
Instead we just walked right on through.

We hadn't bought anything and we had no luggage so it took no time at all.

We hopped on the train back to the hotel.
It was about a 45 minute ride and we were really hungry by this point so we got off at a stop where My Honey thought a pizza place he wanted to try was.
Turned out it wasn't there but there was a Chick-fil-a and a co-worker of My Honey's who used to live in the States told him it was pretty good and we should try it sometime so we did.

We both had chicken sandwiches and they were pretty good.

My favorite part of the meal was that we got to eat it outside in the sunshine.

After we ate and were walking back to the train station we came upon this place.
Frozen custard sounded good so we went in to get one.

They had so many choices!

My Honey got to take a picture with cardboard Freddy.

I went for the signature turtle and My Honey choose the PBC & B.
They were both absolutely delicious and I can't wait until I can go back someday for another.

When we got off the train and were heading back to the hotel we happened upon the ball stadium where the Padres play, Petco Park.
It's right there downtown and I love how you can get seats but then you could also just see it from here for free.
Wonder if it stays like this during games or if this gets blocked?
I hope it stays open.

When we got back to the hotel we discovered that they had this little shuttle that would drop you off anywhere you needed to go around town.
We didn't really know where we wanted to go and the hotel clerk suggested Seaport Village so we hopped in and away we went.

Perfect fit!

The entrance to Seaport Village.

We walked around and just happened upon this awesome statue so of course we both needed to get pictures taken with it.

There were so many other people taking pictures too that we didn't bother to wait our turn to get up close, we figured this was good enough.
I'm not sure why they have the statue here in San Diego because I was sure this famous kiss happened in NYC but I loved it regardless.

We came upon this memorial which was awesome.
Not sure if it was for Bob Hope or the veterans or both.

Made my Honey pose with them.

Now I'm striking a pose with Bob Hope.

It is really beautiful along the waterfront here.
Once the sun started to set, we looked for a place to get some supper.

There was a lovely view from the dining room.

Red sky at night, sailor's delight.
(I think pink counts)

We had calamari for an appetizer, it was really good.
They brought thai chili sauce for the dip but I prefer a good aioli.
The calamari tasted great with just lemon, salt and pepper anyway.

My Honey got the seafood skewers.

This was the sides for my supper.
The veggies were seasoned perfectly.

I splurged and ordered a lobster.
Coming from a family of fisherman and having eaten fresh lobster all my life, it was far from the best I've ever had but it was still good.

After supper we walked along the waterfront a little more.

Love the lights on the USS Midway.
You can tour on the Midway but we ended up not doing that.

There were some lovely spots along the waterway, like this duck pond.

They had all these stone walkways which were really nice.

We decided we wanted to go see a movie so we googled the nearest movie theater and it was close enough to walk over there so we did.

It was inside this really cool looking mall.
Everything was closed so no shopping for me.

They really like there pink and purple here.

They had super long escalators.

Selfie!

Just a neat mural.

We picked The Crimes of Grindelwald.
It was really good but no surprise there - I've always been a Harry Potter fan.
Magical worlds are always intriguing.

After the movie we went exploring.

Turned out the movie theater was right beside the park area we came across last night.

I wasn't sure what this building was but it sure looks majestic, especially with all those lovely purple lights.

From there we felt we had a pretty full day so we headed back to the hotel and to bed.


I scanned social media for a bit, found a great idea for a sign.
Boy I sure am going to have lots of things to make when I finally get around to it.

Love seeing all that green!

That it all for today, until next time, be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment