Friday 4 January 2019

San Diego Here We Come! Day 1! (Nov.14, 2018)


Well today is the day, we are off to San Diego.
We left Edmonton at 7:30 headed to Vancouver then on to San Diego.
It was my lucky day because I was randomly chosen for security check, not just in Edmonton, but in Vancouver as well.
I don't really mind though, it's only an extra couple minutes and I'd rather they did it to people than not.
We made it through no problem and before you know it, it was time to board.
Walking down to the plane. 

At this point in our trip, I am always a mix of excitement because of the adventure we are going on and anxiety because I know we have to fly to get there and I'm just praying that we don't hit any bad turbulence.
All boarded and ready to go.
I love the smaller planes with the two seats on either side of the aisle because we have the whole row to ourselves.
My favorite airline to fly with.

My Honey sat by the window for the second leg of the trip so he took some pictures for me.

I've never seen round fields like this before, not sure what it is but a few of them look like Pac-Mans.

Not sure what this was either. 

We flew over some mountain ranges.

There was some haziness, not sure if it was due to the wildfires or not.

Then we saw the coast line - we must be getting close. 

There it is, San Diego!
Just look at that sunshine, I was so excited to see it!

Waiting for our luggage.

They had this cool plane over the luggage belt. 

So happy to be here!

Just look at that sun out there and the palm trees.
Sunshine sure is good for the soul.

We headed over to pick up our car rental - we used Alamo this time.

There were a ton of punch buggies in the car rental area.
They didn't have any of the intermediate size that we had booked so they offered us the next class up.
We had a choice between a few options including this blue convertible punch buggy which I would have loved to take but it didn't have a GPS in it and we'd forgotten ours.

So we went with this instead, it did have the GPS and it turned out to be a really nice vehicle to drive.
They told us there that Old Town was the very next exit when you left the car rental place and that we could find places to eat there so that is where we headed.

I can't believe that home it is snowy and miserable and here it's so gloriously sunny.

Old Town was really easy to find.

We found a spot to park the car - it was kind of a weird drop off box to pay for it.
After we parked, an attendant came out and gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at this place.

So we walked over there to have some lunch.
When I see palm trees it just makes it feel so tropical.

Cafe Coyote was the place that we had the coupon for so we figured we'd give it a try.

They had these really pretty paper flowers at all the tables. 

I was just so thrilled to be sitting in an open air restaurant enjoying the lovely weather.

Free salsa and chips - so yummy!

They had this passionfruit drink so I just had to try it.
It was so tasty and refreshing.

We ordered their pozole for an appetizer.

These cheese quesadillas were the free appetizer we got with the coupon and they were so good.

My Honey ordered a burrito plate. 

I got a chicken quesadilla bowl.
It was all super good but it was just way to much to finish.

The restaurant had a very Mexican vibe to it. 

I loved all the murals they had on the walls. 

You had to go through this neat gate to get to the washrooms.

This was the view from where the washrooms were - not too shabby.

After we ate, we walked around to check things out.
We came across all these little shops that I love browsing in.

I thought these tshirts were cute.
I planned to go back and get one later but that never happened.

I really like these light fixtures.
They had similar ones at the Mexican restaurant we went to in NYC in April that we liked so much.

There were little shops all over and down little alley ways and because of the decor, I felt like I was in Mexico even though I've never been there.

We happened upon the Old Town San Diego State Historic Park.

There was a green park space in the center with the most beautiful trees.
I do love a good tree!

There were little shops and restaurants all around the green space.

The buildings had an old western vibe to them.

The artwork is a lot of fun.

Mr Sun was just shining away.

What a nice place this would be to sit and read a book or just day dream.

Cool cactus.

The bright colors are so much fun.
I'd like to have a Mexican restaurant some day just so I could decorate it with stuff like this.

These shutters are so much fun.

So much stuff to look at.

These wrestling masks aren't really my thing but they are still cool to look at.

Love it.

They had an outdoor stage likely for entertainment but nothing was going on when we were there.
I really like the ladies in the panels.

Lots more stuff to buy.

and more.
Believe it or not, the only thing I got was a tshirt I found on sale, that was it.
We rarely buy souvenirs anymore, it's just a bunch of stuff that we don't really need.
I normally buy a charm, a magnet and a Christmas tree ornament everywhere we go but I'm not even sure how much longer I am going to continue with all of that.
I have so many ornaments as it is I can never put them all on my tree.
Really - the memories are what I take away and those really are the best part of any trip aside from being in the moment when we are there.

I love the day of the dead lady.

There were so many of them.

Normally I am not into skeletons but I do like these ones.

I love how they are so colorfully painted.
It makes them more cheerful - I think that's why I like them.

I really like all the plants.

This led into an open seating area that was surrounded by restaurants.

These guys were cute.

Love the mural.

Maybe a little on the creepy side for me.

She had a plant dress like the ones they do at West Edmonton Mall.

Another stage like area.

I loved this bench too.

These little musicians were scattered everywhere. 

Love, love, love the door.

Great cactus.

This place sold Root Beer Floats and it was buy one get one free so we went for it.

They had a huge selection of Root Beers to choose from.

The clerk there recommended this so that is what we went with.

Yum.

Trying for a serious "pondering life" look (I made him do it) but you can see a little smile creeping in at the corner of his lips.

My serious pose.

I couldn't do it either.
Too hard not to smile when we are in such a lovely place.

Another cool looking cactus.

Another gorgeous flowering tree.

An old hotel/restaurant.
We were still full from our lunch or else we might have checked it out.

They had these lovely ladies at the front door for the welcoming party.

Heading back to the car.

These houses were just up the hill from Old Town.
What a view they must have.

We checked out this market on the way in and again on the way out.
Lots of cool stuff, nothing I really needed.

The sun was starting to go down.

What a gorgeous tree!

I would never paint my house a color like this at home but it works here.

Back to our starting point to pick up the car.

These guys had to come check out what we were up to.

We left Old Town and headed to the hotel.

The airport is right downtown, so neat.

Downtown San Diego.

What a nice, sleek looking building.

The cool stuff we see.

Someone knew who to call....

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

We found our hotel and checked in.
It was a StayPineapple Hotel Z.
I think it caters to a younger crowd maybe?
We stayed at one before in Seattle.
No bells and whistles but everything you need.
Our room was tiny.

The bed looked comfy though.
We each had our own single duvet which was kind of strange.
The duvets were great but I would have preferred just one big one, easier to cuddle My Honey that way!😉

This was our door.
When my son was born, his father bought him a little stuffed wolf that looked exactly like this.

Love it.

After we checked in we went for a walk.

We were staying right in the Gas Lamp District so that was kind of cool.

We'd seen a Ghiradelli's on our way in so we walked over there to get a treat.

We ordered the Sea Salt Caramel Sundae to share.

OMG - it was heavenly!

We just walked around some more, came upon this cool looking area.
Not sure what it was.

There were stairs leading down to it.

We also walked up to the Convention Center where the have San Diego Comic Con.
This place must be a zoo when that is going on but I'd still love to come and check it out sometime.

After walking a bit, we were feeling hungry so walked back down by the restaurants to look for a place to get a bite to eat.

This place looked as good as any so we picked it.

The menu looked promising.

We ordered the Steak Frite to share.
I was so excited because the description said it came with chimichuri but sadly it wasn't that good.
Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

When we finished eating, we were exhausted so we headed back to the hotel and called it a day.
Can't wait to see what we discover tomorrow.

My son posted this great picture of himself and Baby F!
My SIL posted this one of Mr H and her dad's dog which I think they were dog sitting.
What a great smile Mr H has!

I knew I'd get more steps in once we were on vacation.
Seems backwards but that's just how it goes for us!
My Honey always says that we find things when we walk that we never would otherwise and I have to agree albeit grudgingly sometimes!

That's all for today, until next time, be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment