Friday 11 January 2019

San Diego Trip Day Five (Nov 18, 2018)

Today we decided to take a drive along the coast.
We had that nice rental car and it hasn't moved since we parked it the day we got here.
There was a street fair/market going on in Encinitas so that's where we headed.

We were looking for a place to stop for coffee and this place showed up on google maps so in we went.

Pop Pie Co.

This place was all about the pies, both sweet & savory.

We went in for a coffee but who can resist a delicious pie like this?

We got the chicken pot pie - it was fabulous.

We also had to try some sweet ones so this one was filled with dulce du leche.

This was the key lime.
I was hoping we'd pass by on our way back so we could stop in again because it was that good.


I looked it up on google and they have a rating of 4.7.
I'd straight up give them a 5.0!

There was an ice cream place next door too that looked intriguing but it wasn't open yet so we didn't get a chance to check it out.
Next time.

After that delightful stop, we continued on out of the city.

I just like taking pictures of the terrain when we drive.

There's another one of those unruly palm trees.

The road was getting really twisty and windy.

Then all of a sudden as we rounded the corner, BOOM, there's the water.

WOW!

I love being next to water, it is so soothing and calming.

These places on the edge of this hill have unobstructed views of the ocean.
Boy would I ever love to have that to look out at every day.

Lots of bikers around - they must be very fit to be able to do all the hills.

More lucky folks with awesome views.

They look to be very nice homes too.

Imagine being able to go for a stroll along here every day, that would be bliss.

When we made it to Encinitas, the traffic was ridiculous.

The road was blocked off for the fair and we must have drove around for about an hour looking for a place to park.
We finally found a bank and pulled in there to get some cash in case we found a parking lot we could pay to park in but as luck would have it, we found a place to park right there at the bank.

I love street fairs like this and when I saw all the tents I was so excited!

This guy was not excited at all.
In fact, he seemed to be enjoying a very nice nap.

This little guy was decked out with his own shades (or her) and even had his own personal stroller.

We found a spot for some lunch.
Encinitas Cafe.

My Honey's came with soup to start.

I just got onion rings.

My Honey got these fish tacos and they were among the best we've ever had.
After we ate, we walked along and had a look at all the tents.
I ended up buying a sign for Christmas, that was about it.

Before getting back on the road we found a place to have some dessert.

It had a lovely outdoor patio so we took advantage of the great weather and sat out there.

We had chocolate pie.

And a lemon tart.
They were both ok - not super special that I'd go rushing back to have them again.

Then it was time to leave Encinitas and head back to San Diego.

I''m always a sucker for the sun shining on the water.

I'm not really sure what all these little sand hills were about?

It was a gorgeous drive.

We wanted to check out the La Jolla caves so that is where we headed next.

It took us a while to find a parking spot there too but we found one eventually.

It was a bit of a hike back over to the water but we did it!

It seemed pretty rough out there.

The waves were coming right up to the stairs.

There were still lots folks out on the beach though.
We didn't end up going in any caves but we did do some exploring.

We walked around to the other side and saw that there were tons of people over there.

When we got a little closer, we saw why.

There were sea lions all over the place.

People weren't worried about getting close to them either.

In fact, I was shocked to see how close people were getting.
I mean, they are still wild animals. 

I found a rock to sit on and watch at a distance.

My Honey telling me to look behind me.

This one came up over the side of the rocks.

I wasn't this close, I had to zoom in.

He came right over to where I was sitting and I had to move off my rock so he could have it.

Proud of himself for stealing my spot.

We watched him for a bit then he eventually went down into the water.

La Jolla Selfie.

We left there and started walking along the cliff.
When we looked back, lots of folks were still hanging out with the sea lions.

The sun was starting to set and it looked beautiful.

We came upon another beachy part so we looked for some stairs to get down onto the beach.

Found them.

We got down onto the beach to watch the sunset.

It felt great to get my toes in the sand.

That's My Honey right by my left temple, taking some pictures of that gorgeous sunset.

A sunset never gets old.

Everyone around just seems to stop what they are doing to watch and enjoy.

It's starting to sink pretty low now.

Going...

Going...

Gone (pretty much)!
Once the sun had set, we walked back to the car.

Saw some beautiful funky flowers on the way.

We decided to have some supper in town, saw this place and thought it looked as good a place as any.

They brew their own beer here (obviously seeing as it's a brewing company) and they had all of their equipment "on display".

The menu.

They had deep fried brussel sprouts which are my fave so I totally had to try them.
They were freaking good too.

I had the chili lime sweet potato fries with a chicken burger.

My Honey had a smoked meat sandwich.
The food was really good there - the service not so much.
They weren't rude, they just kind of weren't around at all.

After we ate, I wanted to make one more stop.

I found a Pandora Jewelry store that was not too far from us and it was still open and I wanted to get a charm as a souvenir of our trip.

It ended up being in this really nice open air mall.

I love the lights on the Palm Trees, it looked so pretty.

I picked out a charm then we headed back to the hotel.
I have been trying to pick ones that are shapes instead of just these round dangly's since I have a couple already but I liked that it had color on it and the sea lion which was totally something I will remember from our trip.

Parked our sweet ride.
We didn't end up using it much but it was such a nice vehicle.
Such a smooth ride, I loved it.

I was watching Food Network before we left the room this morning and Martina McBride was making this for her families Thanksgiving dinner.
She was saying that it sounded really weird (totally) but it's a family favorite.
I didn't want to forget about it because I really want to give a try sometime just because.

When we got back to the room, we packed up our luggage so we would be ready to go in the
 morning.
San Diego has been a blast.

All green again!

That is all for today, until next time, be happy!




No comments:

Post a Comment