Wednesday 3 April 2019

Road Trip to Key West (Feb.24, 2019)

Our plan for today was to drive down to the Miami Keys.
Google Maps said it was about a 3 hour drive so we were up and on the road early.
We planned on driving there, spending the day, then driving home later on today.

Road Trip!

We left without having any breakfast and we were getting a bit hungry so when we came upon this Cracker Barrel, we stopped for breakfast.
I love the shops they have in there restaurants - they are full of cool stuff.

I'm probably going to need a few pee breaks since all these beverages are mine!
We tried the brain teaser game and it was the first time I ever ended with only one tee standing.
I couldn't duplicate it though - not sure what I did exactly and I tried a few more times but wasn't able to.

My Handsome Honey.

We had quite the spread for breakfast.
My Honey had eggs and bacon.

I tried the chicken fried chicken - it was pretty good.
I had to have a side of bacon too though - I love me some bacon.

Then we were back on our way.

The views on the road to the Keys are just gorgeous.

There were some really funky looking homes on the water - I would just love to vacation in one sometime.

Lots of stores catering to water sports along the way.

I saw quite a few of these porpoise mailboxes - they were cute.

This was a nice looking mailbox too.

When we got to Islamorada, there was a lot of traffic.

Turns out there was a Flea Market going on so we decided to stop and have a look.

We ended up parking VERY FAR away so it was a bit of a hike to get over to it but it was such a lovely day that we didn't mind.

In fact - it was sweltering.
I ended up buying a hat because I could feel my face burning.
 
We didn't buy anything else although I did see a painting of a cow that I fell in love with and I'm kind of kicking myself now for not buying it.

We spend about an hour at the flea market then it was back on the road.

There were tons of people out on the water - it certainly was a lovely day for it.

More gorgeous houses along the water.

At some sections of the road, it was just a tiny strip of land and the water was right there on either side.

You could just pull over and enjoy a sandy beach - how cool is that?

The water was that gorgeous blue color that I love too.

There were some funny names along the way, like Tea Table Channel.
There were all these "Key" places too, like Key Largo, Plantation Key, Duck Key, Big Pine key, Cudjoe Key and Sugarloaf Key, just to name a few.

There were some gorgeous, big homes along the waterfront and this baby blue was a popular color.
I think it looks so nice.

Don't have to go far to get to your boat from this place.

This bridge kind of reminded me of the bridge to PEI when you can't really see over the sides until you get to the 'hump' in the middle.

Then you could see everything!

These are the kinds of views we enjoyed the whole way there.

These would be such great places to stay in beautiful weather like today's but OMG, wouldn't it be terrifying if a big storm hit?

We passed an ice cream place so we circled back to have a treat.

We each tried two flavors - I was happy because hard ice cream is my favorite!

He was happy too because he was doing all the driving so a break from that was nice.

It was a gift shop too.

I ended up getting a souvenir for the trip.
I always get tree ornaments so I can reminisce about all our trips when I put up the Christmas tree.

Then we were back on our way.

There were A LOT of bridges on this drive.
This one reminded me of the one from NB to PEI again, because of that hump.

We finally rolled into Key West a lot later than expected.

We had no agenda so just drove around a bit and took in the sights.

We found the "downtown" area and went for a walk out on this pier.

The weather and the views were stunning.
I feel so blessed that we get to have all these wonderful travel experiences.


Not sure if this is condos or a hotel but WOW!

Happy looks good.


(I look huge in this picture, I'm going to blame it on the breeze billowing out my top).


No matter if I'm big or small, I'm still just living the dream.

There were a few pelicans there in the water so we spent some time just watching them.

They would take off in tandem.

Then dive back into the water in sync.
It was entertaining to watch.

It started with only two and then a third joined them and the kept taking off and diving over and over again.


After we watched them for a while, we drove around some more and saw this.

What a ride!

There were chickens running around everywhere.

This place reminded me of New Orleans a bit.


We parked and did some exploring on foot.
That\s how we came across this garden collection.


This plant had some unusual flowers on it.


So pretty - I've never seen ones like this before.

We saw this place on Triple D so we decided we wanted to have some supper there.

We placed our order then sat in the back porch area to wait for it.

It was a funky place.

Loved the decor.

I wonder how many Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives places we've been to in total now?

Cute!


We ordered deep fried clams.

We also had the fresh clams.
Both were absolutely delicious.

A mama hen and her baby chicks were there on the porch looking for some scraps.
No doubt they eat well.

There was an ice cream place next door so we had our second helping for the day.

Mile 0 - This highway runs all the way to Canada, I thought that was so cool.

Guess that means we've been to the very bottom of the US - don't know if you could go any further south than this.

Kmart!!!
I used to work at Kmart when they were in Canada and it was one of my favorite jobs ever.
Mostly because I worked with such a great bunch of people.

Because it had taken us so long to get here today, My Honey surprised me and rented us a room so we could stay the night and do some further exploring.

It was in a resort type place and the room was lovely.

That bed looks so inviting and I was so looking forward to sleeping in it.
The one in the room in Miami was ok but this one looked much nicer.

We had a balcony.

It had a view out to the ocean.


I felt like an up scale kind of place, at least to me.

I think I could have stayed here much longer.


I really liked all the white.

I think there were about 5 buildings on the property, this is the one we were in.

So pretty.


We walked around to check it out.

There were several pools on the property too.

Not many people were using them but we certainly planned to while we were there.

It even had it's own marina.

Just a very nice property.

The clams were a nice treat but we were hungry again so we went to the restaurant there.


It was an open air place and they gave us a table by the water.

We really had a lovely view.

We ordered this trio of chips with dip for a starter.
It had corn salsa, black hummus and regular salsa.


We got the tuna nachos as well and they were almost as good as the ones we had in Seattle on New Years Eve.

My Honey got the whole fried fish and it was really good.

I had the watermelon salad.
It had this seaweedy stuff on it that was salty and so tasty.
I thoroughly enjoyed every bite!

After we ate, we went to the room and got our bathing suits on then went for a swim in one of the pools.
The water in the pool was heated.
It was marvelous.
We spent about an hour there then went back to the room.

I crawled into that big comfy bed and we watched a bit of tv before calling it a night.


That is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment