Sunday 28 April 2019

Off to Calgary (April 17, 2019)

Our plan for today was to head down to Calgary.
My Uncle is a huge Heartland fan so I wanted to show him Heartland country.
There aren't any official tours that you can do but My Honey found a blog with a neat self guided Heartland tour that we thought we'd try.
Check it out here.


We printed it out and took it with us.

We tried to get an early start and we did leave the house by 7:30.
My Honey & My Uncle A headed out with the truck and us girls all hit the road in the van.
We planned on leaving the truck in the Edmonton Airport Park & Fly so we could pick it back up when we fly home from Vancouver next week.

Us girls got to Leduc/Nisku ahead of the guys so I had a chance to take them to a store that I love.
It's a Crock Country Store.
It is filled with so many beautiful things - I wish I could buy all of them! 

We just had enough time to look around then My Honey texted to say they were ready to be picked up.

We hit the road and when we were getting near Red Deer, we decided to stop for some lunch.
My Honey found this place online, Queens Diner.

There was another building right next too it that looked similar, I think it was a tire place or something. 

The girls, my cousin K, Auntie A and mom.

Inside it looked like an old 50's style diner.

Uncle A & Cousin K

Sisters!

My Honey & I.

He had a BLT sandwich with cream of potato soup.

I had the beef dip with the same soup.
The food was really good!

After lunch, we hit the road again.
As we were getting into Calgary, I remembered this store I'd seen along the highway that I've been wanting to check out and since we had no agenda really, I figured today would be a great time to finally do it.

It's called Rustic Ranch Furniture and it is a huge show room filled with so many beautiful things.

Like these gorgeous beds for instance.

I like the headboard on this one and the quilt.

I like the style on this footboard.

The place was enormous and had so many nice things.

This would be an easy project to make.

I found this sign that I was trying to order online but everyone was sold out.
It was smaller than what I thought it would be but I still bought it anyway.
I love it!

We continued on to Calgary and since it was later in the day, decided to wait and start our Heartland tour tomorrow.
Instead we got checked into our hotel then made plans to meet some family for lunch.

Mom (and Auntie A's) first cousin lives in Calgary and has for years.
She came to Swan Hills to visit us last year and told us to look her up when we were in Calgary next so we did just that.
We made plans to meet her for supper, she said she was going to bring along another cousin who lives in Calgary as well.
Since she is a local, we told her to choose a place for supper and she suggested the Pelican Pier for supper.

We looked it up and it wasn't too far from our hotel.

Pelican Pier

It was in a little strip mall but the did up the front to look like a dock or pier.
I thought it looked great.

They ran with the ocean/beach theme and I thought it looked great.

There is most of the group, cut out my Uncle A a bit.

There he is.

I had fish tacos and their combo chowder.
They make both New England and Manhattan style and then they mix them together for a third option.

My Honey had the shrimp platter with the New England style chowder.
The food was delicious.
We sat and ate and visited for a couple hours.
It's nice to get together with family, even family that you don't see that much and catch up.
Our waitress was even from PEI - what a small world!

I had the coconut cream pie for dessert and loved it.

After supper, we headed back to the hotel.
We wanted to get an early start tomorrow so it was early to bed for all of us tonight.


That is all for today, until next time, be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment