Wednesday 3 April 2019

Back to Miami for One Last Night! (Feb.25, 2019)

Woke up to a nice view and a lovely day.
We had planned on getting up early and trying out kayaking or paddle boarding at the hotel.
They had an area with both for guests to use but we got a later start than we wanted so instead we headed to breakfast.
 
We googled best breakfasts in Key West and found Harpoon Harry's.
We found a parking lot right beside it which was awesome.
One thing about Key West is that the parking is sparse so even if we have to pay for it, we are happy when we find parking. 

There was a super long line up at Harpoon Harry's and there just happened to be this other place, Pepe's, right up the street which had a smaller line up.
There were two couples in the line who told us that they though Pepe's was the much better place to eat out of the two so we opted to try there instead.

I noticed a little art/gift shop next door so I left My Honey waiting in line and I went over there to check it out.
 
She had this great wall that I fell in love with.
She said she did it herself with plaster.
She put pigment in the plaster and it was actually purple but this this was how it turned out.
Not quite sure how that happened.
Anyway, she said it's just thin boards and she just nailed it to the wall.
I totally want to do this on a wall at home.

I got back to the restaurant just in time to be seated.

It's been here for over 100 years - wow!

It was kind of covered, kind of open, cute little spot.

My Honey and I.

I loved all the vines that were growing up the wall and along the ceiling.

I ordered the cream cheese & chive omelet for breakfast and it was oh so good.

My Honey had the corned beef hash with eggs & toast.
As we were eating, we realized that we'd forgotten to go the pay station in the parking lot to pay for the parking.
My Honey ran over there to do it but it was already too late, we had a parking ticket.
Bummer!

So add another 30 onto the bill for the parking ticket and that was kind of an expensive breakfast.
No sense in stressing over it, things happen.
I did think the mouse trap looking cheque holder was cute.
 
After breakfast we planned on going to the Hemingway House to tour it.
My Honey is an Ernest Hemingway fan and really wanted to see it.
We just could not find a parking spot near to it though so I ended up dropping My Honey off to go do the tour and I went to the other end of town to do some shopping.
I hadn't brought my phone charger since we hadn't planned on staying and my phone was nearly dead.
I use it to take pictures so I really wanted to get it charged up.
I had no luck finding a charger but I did get a few signs at JC Penney and a little outfit for Baby F.
 
The tour of Hemingway House ended up being a guided one and My Honey really enjoyed it.
He said the place was just loaded with cats and they kind of ran the place.
He's glad he was able to do the tour.
 
We really would have loved to stay in Key West longer and would definitely come back.
We think there is lots more to explore there and hopefully we do make it back one day.

I offered to drive today to give My Honey a bit of a break.
The drive was just as beautiful as yesterday.
We stopped in Islamorada to have some lunch at the Shrimp Shack.

It had also been featured on Triple D.

It's a mother, daughter duo that run the place.

It had a bar area - it was kind of dark.

I liked the round windows, reminded me of portholes on a ship.

They had a fish dip so you know we had to try it.
I loved that it came with Ritz style crackers and raw onions and capers.
It was really good.

We tried the chowder.

I had the Senator which was what Guy Fieri tried when he was there.
It's the catch of the day encrusted in almonds, sautéed in garlic butter and topped with sautéed mushrooms and scallions.
It was good but I don't think I'd have it again.

My Honey had the Shrimp Scampi and it was delicious.
Then we were back on our way.

A lot of the places along the way had these big giant statues of different things out front likely to grab attention and bring people in but this giant lobster was by far my favorite.
It was so realistic looking.
I'd seen it on the way down but couldn't get my camera ready fast enough to take a picture as we drove by.
 
The drive back into Miami took far longer than we expected - it was close to 7 when we got back to our room.
 
We decided to go to Fireman Derek's one more time before we left.

I had this birthday cake cheesecake and it was really good.
 
My Honey had the key lime pie.

Then we shared this caramel pie which was also delicious. 

After that we wandered around some and took in more of the artwork.

It really is quite spectacular.
 
This is the place we sat in last time we were here and listened to some live music.

It's really a great place to have in a neighbourhood.

There were lots of stray kitties around that My Honey was making friends with.

In Wynwood Yard.
 

Great advice!
 
I'm really glad we stayed in this area again.
It isn't too busy and over crowded but it feels safe.

Just a random drawing on the sidewalk.

Passed by a Cinema we had no idea was there just up the street from us.

Love the rainbow house. 

We walked by this a few times this trip and every time this cat was there - I think it was his territory.
We wanted to feed him but had nothing to give him.
 
My Honey took this of him the other day when we passed by.
He was a really angry cat - not friendly at all and I just thought it was so ironic that he was "pointing" to the Love is....

A few more murals before we go.

Split face.
 
I'd been thinking about the calamari I'd seen at Sakuya the other day and really wanted to try it so we walked up there.
It ended up having Chinese five spice on it so had kind of a sweet taste which didn't really work for me.

We tried these rolls that they had too and they were ok.
 
We did a bit of shopping around, My Honey got himself a new hat, then we walked back to the hotel and got to packing our bags to leave in the morning.
I'm sad our trip has come to an end, it's been nice and I'm sure going to miss this weather.
 
But Miss H posted some pictures of this little darling today and I am looking forward to getting back home to see her.
 Baby F had a play date with one of her baby friends today.
First time I've seen her with a pig tail and she was rocking it!
Little Miss Serious always has that look and I just love it.
 
 
Well, that is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment