Thursday 12 January 2023

Surprising Run (Jan.10, 2023)

 Jason and I had a pretty good sleep in this morning, I think it was close to 9 when we got up.

I had brought all my gear with me so I could go for a run in the river valley this morning and I was really looking forward to it - until I got up and looked out at the foggy weather.

Luckily, it was just fog and not rain or snow and it was around -5 C so not super cold.

We got ready and headed out.

It felt so hard - within the first few minutes I was feeling out of breath and thinking that I wasn't going to be able to go very far at all.

I just pushed myself and kept going though.

I have been doing 2k on the treadmill lately and that's been tough so I was hoping to at least get 3k in today.

I thought that the whole loop I do in the river valley was around 5k all together so if I made it to the stairs, that should hopefully be around 3k.

I was trying really hard not to look at my fitbit even though I was also kind of paranoid that I hadn't turned it on correctly.

Finally when I could see the stairs I checked my fitbit and I was already at 4k and that felt so good seeing that number.

So I decided to shoot for 5k - I had to detour off the loop a bit to make up the 5k before I got to the stairs but I did it.

The stairs looks so daunting when you are standing at the bottom looking up.
You can't even really see them all because of the fog.

It was really foggy out there this morning.

Made it to the top.

It was hard and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but I did it.

So there's the loop that I did.

My exercise details.

My average pace and splits.
I was surprised by this number because I felt so sluggish and like I was barely moving.
I almost kind of didn't believe it.

After I made it to the top of the stairs, I thought I'd try running across the bridge too.
I only made it .2k though and I had to stop.
I didn't want to push myself to hard and I was proud of what I accomplished today.

We checked out of the hotel after then left our car parked there and walked up to the Sugarbowl for breakfast.
We've eaten there before once with Jason's niece and nephew.
They are famous for their cinnamon buns but were all out the day we'd come so hopefully they have some today.

I started off with a London Fog latte - it was super good.

My handsome Honey.
It's been a long time since we've come to the city just he and I so it was really nice - like a date night.
It's fun to bring Freya with us but it is also fun to come by ourselves the odd time.

It wasn't overly full but all the tables did fill up before we left.

I had the beet salad - it has strawberries, sunflower seeds and goat cheese - I really enjoyed it.

Jason had the burrito special - he said it was just ok.

They did have cinnamon buns so we tried one of those, it was huge.
It came with butter - weirdly it was good.
I never thought of putting butter on a cinnamon before.

They also had cinnamon bun bread pudding so you know we had to try that too.
It was good, kind of all one note though - I think it would really have benefitted from some walnuts or pecans or something.
Still liked it though.

We made a few stops - I was looking for containers to put my tree in but didn't find anything.
So we ultimately decided that Jason would build a wooden crate and we would line it with a tarp and store the tree in that.

He's back to work tomorrow so the tree will be up for a few more days but no biggie.

On the way home we were listening to some oldies and it reminded me of this tape my mom used to have called Chart Action.
I just loved it.
I looked it up to see if I could find all the songs that were on it and I found the tracklist.

I'm going to put all these songs into a playlist on my Spotify in order when I get home and next time I'm out for a run I'm going to listen to it.

We did a lot of talking and planning today - it was really nice.
We decided that we are going to try to run at least one half marathon every year for the rest of our lives.
Just to keep us motivated to keep in shape.
Even if we are the slowest ones there, as long as we are doing it, we don't care.

We also want to try to visit at least one new place every year.
It's so exciting to go to a new place and explore.

We also love coming up with goals to work towards, like the marathon last year.
It's so fulfilling when you accomplish your goals.

I think our next one may be to bike the Confederation Trail in PEI or maybe to try to do all the Park Runs in Alberta this year - I think there are only around 6 of them so that should be doable.

We got home just after 7 and hauled all the groceries in and put them away.
Morgan and cleaned out and organized my fridge for me - bless her.

I was looking at Facebook and came across these pictures someone had posted in a group I follow for military brats.
We lived here in this town in Germany when I was young, Langenwinkel.

These are the buildings, I remember there being 5 of them and we lived in number two.
We left there in 1981 but I still remember our address, Area 33, Block 2, Apartment 16 or 33-2-16.

This one says 8 so I'm not sure if there are more of them there now or if they've just changed the numbering?

They weren't yellow when we lived there, they were all just white.

I don't recognize which one was ours but I would love to go back to Germany for a trip and check the area out.

I did not track my points today and I did have some treats, the cinnamon bun stuff this morning then I picked up some candy cane almonds tonight and I've been eating them by the handful.
But tomorrow it's right back on track for me.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment