Wednesday 17 April 2024

Happy Birthday to Me (April 12, 2024)

Today is my birthday - I can hardly believe that I'm 52 years old now.

Where in the heck has the time gone?

 

I wanted to weigh myself because it's a notable day and I want to be able to compare and see what I am next year on my birthday.

I'm making a promise to myself right now that I'll be down, down, down.

I volunteered with our town ESS (Emergency Social Services) group to help out if there is another evacuation and the AER is putting some training on for it today at the Barrhead FCSS office so I was heading there for the day.

We are heading to the city afterwards so I got a drive to the training with another lady in town who was also taking the training and Jason is going to pick me up at the end of the day.

There were dishes of candies on the tables at the training and I snacked on it all day - like once I started I couldn't stop.

The training was interesting, we learned about what basic essentials for living communities are required to provide for their folks.

We also learned that they have started to include pets in their emergency evacuation planning because when Hurricane Katrina happened down in Louisiana, hundreds of people ended up dying because rescuers wouldn't let them bring their pets and wanted folks to leave them behind but folks refused to and ended up dying because of it.

I had no idea that that had happened.

The morning session was mostly about what ESS provides then the afternoon session was actual training on the duties we would be performing at reception centers, mainly gathering the personal information for the evacuees and entering it into a database.

The training finished up much earlier than expected.

I let Jason know but I still had to wait for him for a bit as he was an hour away.

I went to the second hand store, I got a few clothing items for Eden and Freya then I also got an exersaucer for Eden for $5.

What an awesome deal.

Mom knew I was heading to the city so she left a note for me of a few things she wanted me to pick up.

Her writing and spelling is pretty good - she's really struggled with it since the stroke.

Then Jason showed up, he had Freya with him.

We went to Dehert bakery and we each got a treat then we hit the road for Edmonton.

I woke up super early today and had a bath and while in there, I was scrolling through Instagram and saw this new spot that just opened in Edmonton, Lobster Mobster.

They have lobster rolls and they look so good, I want to get one while I'm in the city.
It was kind of funny because a little later in the morning, Jason sent me a link to this exact same post that I saw saying we should try it.

So we did stop there when we got to Edmonton but they were all sold out of lobster rolls for the day - that was kind of disappointing.

So we headed over to our VRBO Jason booked for the weekend.
It looked like a nice big place.

It had three bedrooms.

This room had the smaller bed.

This was the room that Jason and I took.
Kody, Haylee, Crystal, Zepplyn, Rita and Eden will all be coming in and staying with us.

This is the living room area - the theme of the house is tropical and it had lots of fake plants.
I liked the style of the couches and the color.
The wicker chairs were comfier than they looked.

Checking out the counter.

I love the faces she makes.

We had to figure out somewhere to go for supper that would be quick because we had tickets to see a show at 7 pm and it was already 5:30.

Freya wanted ramen of course - I didn't really want it because I just had it last weekend but Freya would not be swayed.

She got the spicy miso soup - the waitress was surprised that she wanted the spicy but she loved it.

I did have some ramen but I had tempura prawns as well.
They were so good - the tempura was perfect, very light and not too soggy.

Then we were off to Fort Edmonton Park.
They are showing the Titanic movie with Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio and so Jason got us tickets.
We got there just in time.

It's an old fashioned theater and it's really pretty inside.

Freya getting comfy.

Kody ended up working late so he couldn't make it to the movie and Zepplyn decided to stay at the VRBO with Rita and Eden but Haylee and Crystal met us there and watched the movie too.

I wasn't sure how Freya would do as it is a pretty long movie - she slept that whole first half then they had an intermission and she watched it for the whole second half - she was great.

I enjoyed watching the movie again even more than I thought I would, it's been years since I saw it.
When it came out I saw it twice at the theater and there were two soundtracks that came out for the movie and I bought them both.

Then we just went back to the house afterwards,Kody had made it there,
 Jason had made me a cake so everyone sang happy birthday to me and we had cake.

It was Tres Leches and it was amazing.

My foot has been bothering me again so I haven't been getting my 14,000 steps in.
I thought resting it would help it heal but it doesn't seem to be working so far.

That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment