Sunday 17 June 2018

Portland Spirit, Portland Trip 2018 (May 20, 2018)

We were contemplating going either to the coast or inland to the falls today and Multnomah Falls won.
We had some snacks in the room before heading out on our road trip.
I had picked up some single serving microwave Kodiak cakes and I tried one for breakfast.
It was awesomely delicious.
I so wish we could get them at home, they would be so handy.
We got on the road and as I have been every other day here so far, I was blown away by the beauty of nature.
The green and the trees, it never gets old.

I was trying to capture pictures of the gorgeous rhododendrons (the house was pretty nice too) but we were driving by too fast.

We started seeing all these trees with yellow leaves along the side of the road and they were just as gorgeous as the green ones I thought.

There were so many great views along the way, it was hard for me to narrow them down to include here!

We pulled over a few times to have a better look.

Cute little house number we saw along the way.

Their neighbor's weren't about to be outdone and had this cool sculpture in their yard.

Even the walls along the road are lush and green.

I really liked the short stone walls along the side of the road.

We saw this cool looking place off in the distance.

Turns out it was a look out place open to the public.

There were some pretty great views from it that is for sure.
It jutted out a bit so you could see for miles to the right and the left.
This is off to the left.

My handsome Honey. 

This was the view off to the right.

We were able to go into the building and check it out as well.
There was a balcony you could go out on and in the downstairs their was a great exhibit that had lots of information on the history of the area.
There was to obligatory gift shop as well - I ended up buying a little souvenir for our trip, a magnet.

One of these days I want to get a big map of the world put up with a magnetic strip all around it.
I want to be able to put pins in all the places we've visited and put the souvenir magnets all around.

One more selfie before we got back on the road.

The road was super twisty and windy.

Just look at all those curves on the GPS.

We were treated to lots more blooming shrubs - so pretty.

I liked this stone wall too.

It looked old and weathered and kind of just fit right in.

We passed a waterfall but the parking lot was full so we kept going.

I wouldn't want to be going around some of these curves in icy conditions.

This place was much less crowded so we parked and got out to explore a bit.

There was another smaller waterfall.

More great views.

Went for a bit of a walk along the bridge.

No wonder there were barely any vehicles here.

Back on the road.
I love driving through a canopy of trees with the sun shining through.
Feels almost magical.

What a great place this would be to spend an afternoon.
Lights all along the porch and a big old porch swing.
It was right across the street from a park that had washrooms so we stopped so I could use them.

There happened to be a little trail so we went for a walk.

Beautiful daisies.

There is that handsome hunk again.

Some wild flowering shrubs.

The flowers up close were gorgeous.

Oh hey!!!

We found some great look out points on the little hiking trail.

Not the best hiking shoes! 

I think the moss growing on the tree trunks just makes everything seem that much more lush.
The trail led us back to the car so we got back on the road.

Then within a couple of km's, we came upon a road block and we couldn't go any further.
It was kind of a bummer but we had to turn around and head back.
There would be no Multnomah Falls for us today.
We never really found out why but there wasn't much we could do about it anyway.

So we headed back to the falls we'd seen earlier and we were lucky enough to find a spot this time.

Latourell Falls.

I'd brought my sneakers along so this time I was smart enough to change into them before heading out to the trails.

We hiked up to a little spot that had a view of the falls.

We took some pictures.

Really I was just catching my breath.

Then we headed up the trail a bit further.
It was steep and I was thankful that I'd changed out of my flip flops.

It was very beautiful though.

There were views of the falls through the trees all the way up.

He's got a nice big smile meanwhile I could barely breath.
It was definitely an eye opener as to how out of shape I've allowed myself to become.

We didn't go all the way to the top of the falls but we did do a fair bit of the trail.
We turned around and went back then did the lower part of the hike that went in to the bottom of the falls.

Hiking downward was much easier.

Some people had hiked in behind the falls.

Can you see them back there?
I was concerned because I thought they had put themselves in danger but when we kept following the path I could see that there was kind of a path over to where they were and it actually looked quite safe.

Ha ha - he's being a goof as usual and I am sweating my tail off.
Hiking is HARD!

You can kind of see the path here that leads into the back of the falls.

We continued on down the trail not really sure where it would lead but hoping it would take us back to the parking lot eventually.

Look how gorgeous that bridge looks.

So much nicer than just a plain old concrete bridge.

The trail did eventually lead us back to the road.
We had to walk a bit back to the vehicle but that was ok.
I was thinking how in shape I would be if I went for a hike like this everyday.

After our hike, we got back on the road and headed to Sandy.
They have a doughnut shop in the town that our waitress from the other day recommended to us.
It had turned into a bright sunny day which is what seems to have been the trend on our trip so far.
Kind of grey, wet and gloomy in the mornings but sunshiny and warm in the afternoons.

It was a lovely drive and we were treated to plenty more gorgeous views along the way.

Also lots more beautiful blooms.

The pink push against the yellow tree is such a nice combo.

Could that tree fit anymore blooms on it?
I think not.

Orange rhododendrons are a rare sight but I honestly think they are my favorite.

Check out all the blooming shrubs they have then that tree is just fabulous too.

I was still in awe of all the green around us.

I was snapping pictures like crazy of everything.

Especially all the gorgeous shrubbery.

Even the white blooms looked incredible.

The gentle rolling hills that I love so much.

Made it to Joe's Doughnuts in Sandy.

It was just a small little place inside.

Cute.

We tried four different kinds.
Apple fritter, honey dip, strawberry shortcake and cinnamon roll with maple icing and peanuts.

I am not crazy for doughnuts but these ones were really good.
The dough was light and tasty.

The strawberry shortcake was my favorite in large part due to the fact that it had cream cheese icing which makes everything taste better.

After we finished our doughnuts, we drove around Sandy to see the sights and to look for a spot to have some supper.
Quite the car.

We found some food trucks and thought it would be a good spot.

It ended up that most of them were closed so we didn't have much choice so My Honey ended up picking this BBQ spot.

I picked this crepe place.

I ordered fish & chips and had the fries made into a California poutine.
The fish had a crepe batter which I wasn't crazy about.

My Honey had the bbq platter which had sausage, brisket, macaroni salad, beans and a slice of bread slapped up on top there.
Ha ha.
The food was meh.
The service wasn't much to write home about either.
The kids working seemed to have no desire to be there whatsoever.

Making the best of it.

I kept seeing these trees and I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but I love it.

More blooms.

After we ate, we got back on the road and headed back to Portland.

I couldn't stop taking pictures of flowers.

Getting back to the city now.

I didn't realize Red Mill was located here in Portland.

It's funny, the first time we came to Portland I didn't even realize they had an aerial tram and now I'm seeing it daily almost.

My Honey had got us tickets on a dinner cruise tonight so we found a place to park nearby.
A nice couple was leaving as we were arriving at the parking lot and they gave us their ticket which was good for the rest of the evening.
So kind of them.

There is the boat we'll be heading out on later.

We had lots of time before the cruise so we hung out along the river bank.

Fountains are always favorite hang out spots on hot days it seems.

This one was cool, it would spout up from the center then it would move and spout up from the sides.

Awww, poor puppy must have been so hot in all that fur.

We rented a couple of bikes and rode them along the river.
I loved it.

Saw some dragon boats out on the water.

Working up a sweat on the bicycle.

Just taking in the view.

Breaks over, time to get back at it.
We biked around for an hour and a half or so then we returned the bikes.

Still had time before the cruise so we got some drinks.
All three were tasty and refreshing.

There are paths all along both sides of the river so it's a great place to go for a walk.

There were some fellow Canadians hanging out on the riverbank.

Soon enough it was time to board the cruise.
We had a great table right next to the window.

I felt so thankful at this moment that we are able to get out and do these kinds of things and that I have someone I love so much to share it with.
A moment of complete and utter gratitude.

There was even live entertainment aboard.

This was our cruise route.

They brought out some delicious bread to start.

Love him.

Pulling out from dock.

Next up was a shrimp appetizer.

A yummy salad.
It had jicama on it - I love the crunch it adds.

Just loving life.

I so enjoy being on a boat.

Portland has a submarine you can tour - who knew?

I love the look of this bridge.

We went out on deck for a bit while we were waiting for the main course.
The sunshine sparkling on the water always looks so pretty.

Dinner is served.
I had the trout, My Honey had the beef tenderloin.
The mains were really good.

After we ate our mains, we headed up on deck again.
The rivers edge was lined with all these houseboats.

Some of them looked really interesting.

I had no idea at all that these were even here.

What a great place to spend a summer.

This one looked kind of space agey.

There were so many of them, they went on and on.

I liked that they didn't all look the same.

They each had their own unique look and color.

We passed some park areas as well.

These cone shaped trees are just so cool.

I think this may have been a golf club or something.

Such a nice evening for a sail.

We started seeing some really great places along the shore line.

Check out this one nestled up in the trees.

I've never seen anything like it before.

This was most certainly where some wealthier folks lived.

These homes were spectacular.

Just cruising with My guy.

What a place!

The homes were so impressive.

Just hanging on the Portland Spirit.

Home after beautiful home.

Looked like some kind of event going on at the park.
The folks on the shoreline were waving to us and we were waving back.

Hard to pick a favorite because they were all so nice.



It was a little windy but we didn't want to go inside and miss all the scenery.

This is like a mansion.

Our waitress found us to let us know that dessert was ready.
We picked cheesecake.

And turtle pie.

Then headed back out to look at more homes.

Modern isn't my style but I'd live here no problem.

Someone even has their own plane.

This place was like a castle.

We noticed the trolley going by and asked the waiter which trolley line it was.
We figured it would be a great one to take as it would have such a great view but the waiters all said they had no idea as this was the first time they'd ever seen it.

We cruised along side by side with it for quite some time - we were headed back by this point.

So much great deck space on this one.

More awesome houseboats.

I've never been on a houseboat but I know I would enjoy staying on one immensely.
Maybe something we should look into doing sometime.

It was getting chillier as it got darker so everyone went back inside.

Except us, we had the whole deck to ourselves.

My Honey took pictures and roamed and I sat on the couch and just enjoyed the experience.

There's the bridge that I love.

The aerial tram again.

The famous Portland Oregon sign.

It changes back and forth from green to white and was harder to get a picture of than you would expect.

We arrived back around 10:30.
What a great way to spend an evening.

We headed back to the hotel and thought about going for a swim but skipped it again.

My Tante M posted these on Facebook today and I just loved them.
I've never seen pictures of my dad when he was young before.

This his my dad and his sister M.
I think he looks just like my little nephew D in this picture.

This is Dad and Tante M again, a little older.

My dad is the boy in the back, left here in this one.

And finally this one, he is the boy in the back.
It made me so happy to see these pictures.

We have to get up at 5:20 am to check in for our flight in the morning and tomorrow will be our last full day in Portland for this trip.
We will make the most of it I am certain.

Way to go with the steps!

That is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment