Sunday 2 June 2024

Off to Nashville We Go - Nashville Trip Day One (May 19, 2024)

Since we decided to stay home last night due to the exorbitant cost of hotel rooms in the city, we had to be up super early this morning and get on the road.

Our flight is at 10 am but it's about a 3 hour drive to the airport plus we need to be there about 2 hours before our flight since it's an international flight so we had to be on the road by 5 am - we made it out by 4:30 am so good for us. 

 

Mom left us a note on the counter - that was sweet of her.

We dropped the car off at Park2Go - we use their valet park option and I'm also getting them to detail the car for us this time - it's $200 and the first time we are trying it.

If they do a good job - we'll likely get them to do it once a year or so.

Checking in and making it through security was a breeze so we had lots of time to kill in the airport before our flight.

We decided to get some breakfast at Chili's.
Jason had the egg sandwich.

I had avocado toast.

Then we found our gate and just hung around until it was time to go.

The flight was fairly empty and we had our row to ourselves which was so nice.

It was a smooth flight to Nashville and I think we even got in a bit early.

Made it to Nashville - looking forward to doing some exploring.

I was looking for a Welcome to Nashville sign but this was really all that I could find.

Walking over to the car rental area we saw all this big dead bugs all over the ground - I don't know what they were but I don't look forward to meeting the live versions of them.

We rented a car with Thrifty - there were no line ups and getting it was a breeze amazingly and then we were on our way to the hotel.

We could hear this really loud buzzing sound, we thought it was maybe lawn work being done at the airport or something but then as we were driving down the highway to the hotel we could still hear it and so we realized it was actually something else - bugs.

We saw tons more of those dead bugs we'd seen on the ground flying all over the place, especially around the trees were we parked at the hotel.
We asked the hotel clerk about them and she said they were cicadas.

Jason looked it up and turns out they emerge around this time of year every 13 years and we just happened to be here at that exact time.

This is an article we found explaining about the cicadas.
It's kind of neat that we get to see them.

After we checked in, we took the shuttle that the hotel provided to the downtown area of Nashville.
It dropped us off right by this restaurant and we were both hungry so we decided to get something to eat first off.

Black Top.

It had this cool wall all covered in cassette tapes.

They had this "New Yorker" milkshake that sounded delicious so we ordered that first thing to share.

It looked amazing when it showed up.

Strawberry Shake.
I was going to try to eat reasonably healthy while on this vacation and then this is the first thing I ordered as soon as I got here.
Guess that plan flew right out the window.

We shared a couple of appetizers - teriyaki broccoli 

Brussels sprouts

Then I had a burger with lots of lettuce and tomoato.
The bun was nice and soft and the burger was cooked medium rare which is my favorite way to have it and we take advantage when we are in the US because restaurants in Canada are not allowed to serve hamburgers cooked medium.

After we ate, we went for a walk to the downtown area.
The CMT building was right across the street from where we ate.

Ole Red - Blake Shelton's place.

I took a picture of a dead cicada next to my toe just so you could get an idea of how large they are.

Broadway St - Nashville.

We had asked our shuttle bus driver for food recommendations and he said to try out the food court on Broadway.

We'd already eaten but when we came across it, we went inside just to check it out.

This is the wall as soon as you walk into the entrance - kind of cool.

It's a huge place - this is looking out from one of the balconies on the upstairs portion.

We saw an ice cream spot so we got ice creams for dessert.
Hattie Jane's Creamery.

I got Goo Goo & Jack (Goo Goo is the brand name of a chocolate they sell in Nashville that has marshmallow and nuts and chocolate).

Then I also got a scoop of Pecan Pie because I am a huge fan of nuts in my ice cream.

Jason and I just shared.

We stumbled upon a lobster spot and I've been craving a lobster roll ever since my birthday when I tried to get one in Edmonton.
I tried that place twice and they were out of lobster both times.
So even though I just ate, I went to get one but what do you know - they were out of lobster.
In my mind I was like 'are you kidding me' - no lobster roll for me, AGAIN.
What are the odds?

Then we came across a bakery we'd heard of so even though we were full, we wanted to try it, Five Daughters Bakery.

They make yeast doughnuts and they also make 100 layer doughnuts which are their croissant version.

They gave them to us in a nice pink box.

We ordered the regular glaze and I think because they were closing soon, they threw in a couple minis for us for free.

This is just another view of the food court and there were also shops down below as well.

I like the flowers on the wall around the doors.

I always love all the art on the walls in the cities we go to.

Then we stumbled upon The Ryman which was just across the street.

It's one of the places I wanted to see so that was fortunate.

I quite enjoy bluegrass music.

Loretta Lynn

Charley Pride
I love all the old country singers.

The stained glass windows all along the side of the building are so pretty.

Back out on Broadway - seems that lots of singers have bars here.
Friends in Low Places is Garth Brooks & Tricia Yearwood's spot.

We went in to check it out.

There were live performers and they were singing Tennessee Whiskey so we sat and listened.
All the bars have live performers and you can sit and drink and eat and watch them.
The bar scene is not really our thing though so we didn't stay long.
It might be nice if we were eating to sit and listen to the music at the same time.

Whiskey Row.

Luke Bryant's spot.

I love all the old brick buildings - they have so much character.

Kid Rock has a place.

The Johnny Cash Museum.
We didn't go in but maybe we will tomorrow.

We saw a cool pedestrian bridge so we decided to walk across it.

Went by this spot that looks like it had the Barstool Sports logo so Dave Portnoy's spot - I didn't even realize he had spots like this.

Just some views of the downtown area.

There is a stadium across the bridge.

The start of the bridge.

We love a good bridge and if we see them anywhere - we go out of our way to walk over them.

Cicadas Gone Wild.
You could just hear the cicadas like crazy going over the bridge so I had to take a video to try to capture the sound.

Another view of the bridge.

Another gorgeous old brick building.

The sun was setting soon and it looked so pretty peeking through the buildings.

This is the other side of the bridge.

Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

It's a nice bridge, lots of spots to just sit and take in the views.

Beauty of a day for a walk over the Pedestrian Bridge.

The river.

Just caught the end of a barge going down the river and there's another pretty bridge just up the river a bit.
Kind of reminds me of the Walter Dale a bit.

We went down onto the other side of the bridge and walked around a bit - you could go right down to the river bank so we did.
It had just flooded here from all the rain just a couple weeks ago and I think it was still a little high.
This is a sculpture piece called the Ghost Ballet.

A view looking back over the river.

I guess this is called the Batman building - it's obvious why.

That's Broadway Street right there between the buildings.

My Honey

Moi

The quieter side of the river.

There were a couple of families of Canadian Geese on the other side of the river.

Cicada-Geddon in Nashville.

We walked back over the bridge then by the Barstool spot and they had this truck out front.

Great message.

Cute little puppy that belonged to a food truck owner - it was tiny!

Walking back up Broadway again.
I think we had our fill.

Another gorgeous brick building with a cool mural.

We were going to walk back to the hotel but just happened to see the shuttle at the spot where it dropped us off so we hopped back on and got a ride.

We found a Walmart and went and got a few things.
I wanted a bathing suit because I forgot mine and I actually found two which was amazing.
I need a lot of support so I'm really picky about what I get but I found one with great support and so I got it in two different colors.
I was pretty stoked about that because I've been looking for a looooong time for a new bathing suit.

We called it a night after that but looking forward to doing more exploring tomorrow.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment