Wednesday 28 June 2017

Road Trip

Rainy day yet again so no walk to work, again!

We had a MSM (Mission Statement) Meeting for our district today and they held it in Westlock so us office girls got to go for a road trip today.

There were actually 4 of us but one was still in the store we stopped at along the way when I took this picture!

We arrived at the meeting just in time for lunch.
Lunch was really good.
The potato salad was delicious and there was a coleslaw type salad that was similar to the Crunchy Pea Salad that I like.
The bbq beef or pork they had was yummy too.

I had some fruit for dessert.
They had a 50/50 draw to raise money for a couple of charities that our district supports and Ms BK won (over $1000.00).
I would have loved to win it myself but I was happy for her.

We stopped in to Westlock after the meeting to do a bit of shopping then headed home.
I dropped the girls off at the office for their vehicles, grabbed mine and headed out to the golf course to see My Honey (plus I picked up a few items that I wanted to drop off to him)

It was really dead out there - perfect for burger experimentation though and I had a few ideas I wanted to try out.

The grill master hard at work (acting silly and posing for a picture is more like it)!
First up was the BENNY BURGER.
Lots of people have been mentioning that they would like us to do a burger with an egg on it so I was trying to think of what would go good with eggs and I thought of eggs benedict.
I am not a huge fan myself but know that lots of others are.

Doesn't that egg look just perfectly cooked?

My Honey added lots of home made hollandaise sauce and a skewer full of tator tots because they are kind of like little baby hash browns (which are usually a great side for breakfast).

We cut into it and I think the eggs were just the perfect amount of runny, at least for me.
My Honey probably would have preferred a little runnier.
We each ate half and it was delicious.
It is the winner and will be our Burger Love special for tomorrow night.

Next I wanted to try a concoction that I came up with and was calling the
PEAR-ISIAN
I was thinking brie, pepper jelly and pear slices.
I was thinking on a croissant too but forgot to pick up a couple to try.

My Honey wrapped the brie in some phyllo dough and put it in the oven.
First attempt was a fail - left it in too long and it was overcooked and it was puffed up too much.

Attempt number two.
He used less brie this time and less phyllo dough.
The results were much better.

I had forgotten to bring the pepper jelly do so we improvised and mixed siracha and honey together.
We also added cream cheese to the burger last minute.


I think My Honey was a little "iffy" about the combination at first but I won him over when he tried it.
Of all the ones we have tried so far this one ties as my favorite with the Elvis Burger.
We may try to tweak it a bit more before we have it as the special but even as is, it's a winner in my books!
I just need to come up with a Parisian kind of garnish/topping for it.

After experimenting a bit, we cleaned up and headed home.

My Honey made these homemade ice cream sandwiches and we shared one for a treat.
It's vanilla ice cream mixed with a reduction of orange crush pop sandwiched between a sugar cookie - deadly good, dangerous to have around.

A few pictures popped up in my Facebook memories tonight, these are from my son's Grade 9 prom, 10 years ago.
He has grown up so much since then.

My boy & I at the graduation ceremony!

A real cool cat!


A couple of handsome boys. 

Him and his date.

We moved out to Alberta not long after this (2 months) and my son was quite unhappy about it for some time.
I was determined to give it a try out here for at least one year though and it was tough for him but now he quite likes it and he is doing well and most importantly, he is happy.
I am so grateful now that we came and stuck with it - it has been a blessing for both of us.

That's a wrap for today.
Until next time, be happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment