Saturday 10 June 2017

Retirement Golf Party in the Rain

It wasn't raining quite yet when I got up this morning but the sky was cloudy and grey and it was most definitely on the way!

I didn't take a chance on walking to work and getting caught in it so I took the car today.
We are having a golf day/retirement supper for a co-worker today and I had a few errands to do before heading out to the golf course so I figured it would just be easier if I already had the vehicle.

The rain held off all morning until it was time to head out to the golf course, and then the skies opened up!

Had to stop because this mama had crossed the road in front of me but she had left her little one on the other side.
Both of them were pacing back and forth by the side of the road so I didn't want to go in case one of them decided to cross again.
And sure enough, the mama did!

and happily she was reunited with her little one and nobody was hurt.
Aren't they majestic creatures.
I am always in awe when I have the opportunity to see them up close.

I got to the golf course and ordered myself up a taco salad for lunch.
I just love these!

A fellow I work with retired back the end of March and for his retirement party he requested a golf day followed by a supper.
So this was planned long ago and although we had nice weather all week, wouldn't you know today it decided to rain.
Not just a nice little drizzly rain either but a full on downpour.

I hadn't planned on golfing today as I was kind of organizing so thought it would be too busy.
I had planned on taking a cart out around the course to get pictures but changed my mind.

There were quite a few diehards though.  They got on their rain gear and headed out to the course.

The stopped in for drinks halfway and they were sopping wet.

The man of the day - he didn't let the rain stop him!

Some people even had gear for their carts!
I applaud all who went out there and golfed anyway.

They all said they had a great time and actually had some great shots.
It made the day memorable as well.

Ms BH and I sat inside and played "Heads Up"

I was worried about what kind of turnout we would have but I shouldn't have been.
Giving his Thank You speech.
He was such a great guy to work with, if he said he was going to do something, he did it! - I am going to miss him!

I forgot to order the cake until just this morning and I think the local grocery store did a great job for such short notice!

Supper was baked potato, bbq beef, baked beans and corn.
I tried to keep my portions small, only ate half of the potato, it was delicious.

I couldn't resist dessert "Sex in a Pan" so I had a half of a piece.
It was absolutely worth it.

It was after 7 by the time I headed home tonight.
Long day but I think the retirement party was a success.

I was sitting looking at Facebook when I got home this evening and lots of memories popped up for today.
This is an oldie, from Christmas of '86.
My brother is on the far left with the 7 on his shirt, I am on the far right with the glasses and blondish hair.  Boy was I stylin'!
It's too bad the quality isn't great in some of these old pictures.

These are family pictures we had taken one year when my brother and niece came to visit in Dartmouth from Alberta.
I am looking pretty tan in this picture - kind of sticking out.
I used to tan in the tanning beds but haven't done it in years.
I love this picture of us.
We have all grown so much since then!


This was taken at Bubbles restaurant in Halifax just before I moved out to Alberta.
Bubbles is a character from the show "The Trailer Park Boys", he had a restaurant and just happened to be there the day we went there to eat.
He looks completely different here than he looks in the show - I have to admit it isn't a show that I watched but it was popular.

This is my son on his 16th birthday.
He really wanted a guitar and I was unsure about getting it for him because I didn't know if he would stick with it.  He had wanted a violin a few years earlier and didn't even make it through a year of lessons.
He has stuck with it though and joined the line of men in my family that play.
My dad and my brother both play as well.
He has done really well at it too and I am so glad I got it for him and so proud of him for learning to play and he's very good!

This is me almost 10 years ago now.
Boy does time ever fly!

Me, my boy and his guitar on his 16th birthday - June 2008.

Happy 16th birthday my sweet boy!

My niece and her friends back in 2008, hard to believe she will be graduating tomorrow!!!
Then some Christmas memories popped up.
Not sure why unless I was really slow back then at posting things.
I was just learning Facebook back then so that could totally be the case.
This is probably 2208 or 2009.
My two brothers, my mom and I.
My brother Mr.A looks so young in this picture.

Here's another with my boy and our cousin Miss T.

Always being happy and goofy - love that about him.

This is at a work Christmas Party, probably around 2009 or so.
I've always loved this shot - I had so many doubts about moving here when I did but this reminds me that I made the right decision. I was finally feeling happy and joyful in life and I can totally see that in myself here.

Just another night out, Ms.BH and I.
This was Christmas 2015 - us ladies at the office and My Honey got together for a Christmas Bake exchange.
We each made 6 dozen of a Baked good of our choosing then we shared them amongst each other so we each got to take an assortment of goodies home.
It was fun and my friend from back in Dartmouth had moved out to Alberta and just happened to be visiting so she was able to tag along.

My girlfriends bought me this doll for Christmas.
They went to the trouble of finding out the information of the lady who makes the dolls that I like then went and picked one out for me.
That really means a lot to me and I just love her.

Got My Honey tickets to see City in Color for Christmas and here we are waiting for the concert to start.
Shakey Graves opened for them and although I'd never heard of him before, I really enjoyed it.
I have few songs of his included in my playlist now.
This is the last concert we will ever attend at Rexall Place as Rodgers Arena will be opening soon in Edmonton.
Someone posted this picture on Facebook yesterday as well.
I would put their credentials but don't know who it was.
This is Canada's 150th Birthday and this is 150 RCMP on the Capilano Bridge in Vancouver.
What an awesome shot!
I am super proud to be Canadian and love my country!

I had a little snack before heading to bed tonight, an orange ice cream with chocolate.
They are just tiny little things but a nice little treat.

Lots of pictures today!
We headed to bed early for a weekend but My Honey has to work in the am and I have to take mom up to a mammogram appointment.

It's been another great day in the life of April!
Until next time, be happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment