Wednesday 31 August 2016

Pizza, Pizza and More Pizza!

We woke up to sunshine, YAY!  A rainy day is nice every now and then but it sure is nice when the sun reappears.  It kind of sprinkled a little throughout the day but they were those beautiful sun showers which are actually kind of nice.

 First thing My Honey did this morning was head out and fire up the clay oven.  He built this oven himself last year with his parents help as an experiment and it turned out wonderfully.  It took a few months to cure and it was a lot of work but it was so worth it.
He never seizes to amaze me with the things he can do.  I think that he is proud of it and so he should be!

He is extremely happy with the outcome and we fire it up everytime we go there.  Lots of things have been cooked in it to date but the main thing it is used for is PIZZA!

 He just loves making silly faces for me when I want to take his photo!  He built this peeler himself as well.

 We had to run back to the store for a couple of things so I grabbed the third specialty flavour of Lays to try.  My son said these were his favorite of the three and I think I agree (the cheesy onion have moved to a close second).

 This is my in-laws garden, isn't it spectacular?  That corn is probably twice my height.  They always have such a beautiful garden.  I wish they lived closer so we could see them more often first off and then secondly, I would love to be able to raid the garden more often!

 Look at that, raspberry bushes as far as the eye can see!

Don't they look delicious?

 I can confirm that they were VERY DELICIOUS!  I kept going over and picking a few to eat, it's hard to stop when they are so yummy!

The sweet peas are quite lovely as well.  I grew some myself years ago when I lived in Dartmouth but I am not sure they looked as nice as these ones.

 First pizza is in the oven, look at that crust bubbling up. I am hungry already!

The first time he cooked pizza's in the oven I recorded it because it was so awesome.  The pizza cooked in just 2 min 20 seconds.  The inside of the oven was so hot that it melted the thermometer!

 He experiments with the dough and toppings each time as well.  I think he has perfected the dough and the simple Margarita pizza is my favorite but it is fun to try new flavour combinations.  He tried a few today. 
This is the "Squash" pizza, or as the nephew dubbed it "Orange Mess".  It had butternut squash, gorgonzola cheese, cooked swiss chard and caramelized onions.

 It turned out great, tasty combo!

 This was another test combination - "Perogy Pizza".  He made a perogy stuffing (mashed potatoes, cottage cheese & bacon bits) which he spread on first as the "sauce" then he added some shredded mozza and more bacon bits.

 When it came out of the oven, he drizzled it with sour cream and tossed on some green onions.  This was my favorite of the three new ones we tried.  Kind of a dangerous combo because it tasted so awesome!

 His final test was the "beet" pizza or the "Purple People Beeter" as his nephew named it.  He made a pesto out of beets then added capers, basil, caramelized onions and feta. 

 I thought it looked very beautiful. You could definitely taste the earthiness from the beets which I don't mind.  It tasted good but I think I would have liked something sweet added, maybe a drizzle of honey? 

 For dessert MIL made fresh biscuits and they were slightly sweet.  OMG, they were just so delicious.  Home in PEI we always have our strawberry shortcakes on biscuits and they are my absolute, hands down, favorite dessert of all time.  This was exactly the same except with fresh raspberries subbed in in place of the strawberries.  I think I inhaled it, it was that good.

*I must confess that she sent home the leftovers with us and instead of supper, I had another one of these the very same day when we got home.  I had to put the extra biscuits in the freezer because I knew I could not resist them.  Next time I get a craving though, I will be warming one of those bad boys up!

 All in all, My Honey pumped out 16 pizzas today.  We will take the extras home and freeze them for lunches and suppers down the road.

I really enjoyed our weekend there (I always do) but after supper it was time to head back home.  One of us had to work in the morning (unfortunately that someone was me, ha ha).

Fitbit Stats for today - Again I didn't meet all my goals today.  Tomorrow that will all change.
Tomorrow I am starting the 8 week training plan to run a 10K.
Monday is a "Rest" day which I feel a little bad about because I just missed 4 days of working out but I want to follow the plan exactly as it is laid out.  I will still go for walks every hour so I won't be entirely sedentary tomorrow.

Until next time, be happy!





No comments:

Post a Comment