Friday 2 July 2021

Kayak Kerfuffle and Reminder to Be Kind (July 1, 2021)

Even though today was a Stat Holiday and I had the day off, I asked my boss if I could work today and take tomorrow off instead and she was fine with that.

So I got up and got straight to work.

I get lots done at work on days like today because I don't get many emails or phone calls so I can really focus on getting things done without interruption.

I did get ready and head out for a run just after 8 am as I wanted to try running before I ate and to avoid the heat that I knew would be coming later in the day.
Took a few selfies before heading out.
Front view.

Side view.

Back view.


It was already 20C out there when I headed out but it felt a lot cooler than my runs the past few days.
Since I hadn't been able to get a full run of my regular route in yet this week, I decided to try to push myself a bit harder and added a few little extra parts to my run.
It felt good and there were no bathroom emergencies today.
I got 10k in!

Splits weren't the best but they were ok.

When I got back to the house, I made myself some brunch then got back to work and just worked straight through until the end of the day.

Jason texted later in the day to say that the Canadian Tire in Slave Lake had 3 of the kayaks in stock that we were looking at.
So I called to check that they actually had them before heading out then borrowed my brothers truck and hit the road.
Mom came along to do some shopping and so did Kody so he could pick up a set of tires for his vehicle.

Turned out that by the time we got to Canadian Tire (its about an hour and fifteen minutes from my place), two of the three kayaks had sold so I was kind of frustrated.
They had been purchased online and I wasn't even aware that I could do that.

I was so annoyed and I took it out on the young guy there that was helping me out even though I know it wasn't his fault, he just was the messenger unfortunately and I felt bad afterwards.

I got the last one then I also picked up paddles and life jackets for us.

Then when I got to the truck, I went online to see who else had them and Leduc did so I purchased one online right away from them.

Means I'll have to head to the city tomorrow to pick it up but at least I know we got one.

I'm glad Kody came with me as he helped to secure the kayak in the back of the truck.

I went into Walmart to grab a few things and wouldn't you know it, they had several kayaks there.

They were pretty much the same as the ones at Canadian Tire, 10ft pelicans but blue instead of red and nearly100 bucks more.
But hey, if it saved me a trip to the city tomorrow then it was worth it in my book.

So I called to see if I could refund the one I'd just purchased online which they did no problem then I bought the second kayak of the day at Walmart.

Kody got that one secured for me too.

Thank goodness for my boy.

As you can see, I was pretty happy to be going home with the two kayaks I came for.

At this point, I was feeling really bad that I'd been unkind to the young guy at Canadian Tire and wanted to take him a gift card but they had closed up shop for the day.

I hadn't yelled and caused a big scene or anything so it wasn't awful but I used to work in retail so I should have known better.

Hopefully he didn't dwell on it and let it ruin his day.
I will take this as a reminder to myself to just be kinder.

We stopped and got food and drinks then headed back home.

The air conditioning in my brothers truck wasn't working and it was a balmy 36C outdoors so you know we had the windows rolled down for the drive home.
Kody even drove which was another bonus of him coming with us.

Crystal, Randy, Zepplyn, Haylee and Freya all headed down to Drumhellar today (Kody has to work tomorrow but is going to head down after to meet them) and Crystal posted this picture of how they spent their Canada Day.

Jason was home when we got back to Swan Hills and he and Kody loaded the kayaks into the shed.
I just can't wait to go test them out as soon as possible.
Likely when Jason goes on days off.

We watched the latest episode of Loki which I'm really enjoying, before calling it a night and heading to bed (in the basement again, still trying to beat the heat).


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment