Tuesday 15 May 2018

New York Trip 2018 Has Come to an End! (April 23, 2018)

We got up this morning and packed up - time to head home has come.
Check out time was 11 am and the front desk called us right at 11 on the dot to see where we were.
We were just heading out the door anyway.

We left our luggage at the front desk then went out to find some breakfast and explore a little before we had to go.
 
First thing we did was walk over to Long Island City Diner for some breakfast.
My Honey had the bagel and lox.
 

I was in the mood for pancakes so tried these oreo ones.
I thought by the description that the oreos were cooked right in the pancakes but all they did was crush a couple on top.
Tasted good but I was only able to finish about half of them.

We hopped on the subway to head over to another part of Queens to explore.
They are always making more of these signs to address different things that must happen often, I think they are cool

This actually happens, hence the need for the sign.
Although I don't think it really detracts anyone from doing it anyway.

Last day of subway riding for these two.

We hopped off at Metropolitan Ave because the internet says its a great area to walk around full of little shops and restaurants.

It was another lovely spring day here in NYC.

We saw some cool stuff as usual.
 
My Honey is always noticing little things, he has quite the eye.
 
Fruit as far as the eye can see.
Displayed so orderly too.
 
Sounded good but we weren't hungry at this particular time.

We stopped for coffees, he got his double espresso and I opted for the iced coffee as usual.

I'm not sure what I think about this mural.
 
The artwork itself is amazing, just look at the details,  but I am not crazy about the subject.
I am choosing to believe that this little birdie is just having a nap.

We found a little hardware shop that we looked around for a bit.
These light fixtures that I see in all kinds of projects I want to try were only $10 a piece - I could have filled up my suitcase with them but I wasn't sure how they would fare out.

Unicorn everything is really in right now.
We didn't try it.

More artistic expression.

I am going to miss all these beautiful blossoms.
 
We came across Desy's Clam Bar and My Honey thought he'd seen it on a show one time.
We were feeling a little puckish after roaming around for a couple hours so we figured we'd give it a try.

It wasn't busy but it was the middle of the morning on a Monday.

The wall is covered with signed money - interesting décor choice!
 
It really did have an authentic Italian feel to it.
They brought us out bread and two different kinds of tomato sauces to dip it into.
The sauces were delicious, one was on the sweet side, the other on the hot side but both very good.

My Honey ordered the baked clams - they were delicious.

I had the ravioli and it was amazing.
I don't usually go for pasta but I am glad I did.
Between My Honey & I we cleaned the plate which is a rare occurrence for us.
 
Time to head back, grab our luggage and head to the airport.
We have realized that there isn't much sense getting there super early the way we like to because they rarely have a WestJet agent there and we just sit around waiting anyway.
 
The hotel clerk got a car for us and the driver was really nice.
He is originally from Mexico but has lived in the States for years, all over the place too.
So we were talking about all the places we've all been and all the places we'd like to go.
He was then telling us that in Mexico, children are being stolen for organ harvesting.
I was so upset about that.
My Honey was skeptical about it - I sure hope he's right.

Once we were checked in and through security, we found a place to sit and have a bite to eat.
More for something to do then because we were hungry.

We just ordered some truffle parmesan fries to share - they were good but way over priced.
Pretty typical for airports.
 
The flight to Toronto was quiet and uneventful, just the way I like it.
There was a gigantic line to go through customs which is part of travelling but it gets annoying sometimes too.

Once we made it through customs and then back through security, we headed to our gate which I think was located at the ends of the earth.
We walked down corridor,

after corridor,

Up escalators (it was feeling like an adventure)

Gigantic escalators

Cool light fixture!
 
Until we finally found our gate.
There also just happened to be a restaurant there and we had just enough time to grab some supper.

My Honey got the Montreal smoked meat sandwiches.

I got the Montreal smoked meat poutine.
It wasn't a bad meal.
 
Then we were back on the plane for our next (and last) leg of the flight.

This was our longer flight and it was the red eye so we splurged for the plus seats again.
We were treated like royalty, they offered us moist toilettes, food, drinks.
Took really great care of us!
I tried to sleep but as soon as I would try to close my eyes my mind would start racing about plane accidents and all kinds of other horrible things so I just kept busy with my ipad and my magazines.
 
We were at the JetSet lot picking up the truck by about 1 am.
My Honey had booked us a room at my new favorite hotel, Four Points by Sheraton (they have the best beds).
We checked in and immediately went to bed - I was out in minutes.
 
It was a quick trip but a great one.
I miss our longer summer trips there though so I think next year we will plan to go there in the summer again.

15,550 - not a bad total at all.
 
That is all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment