Friday 15 September 2017

Shaggy Mane Hunting

My MIL had fruit cut up for us for breakfast when we got up this morning.
I must admit that we did take advantage of the day off and we slept in rather late.
I love fruit but it seems like it's even better when I don't have to go to the trouble of cutting it up myself.
We had porridge too which I love and keep meaning to make at home but never get around too.

Lunch was some of My Honey's home made sausages, I can't seem to get enough of them.
His mom really loved them too.

Afterwards My Honey got his oven fired up.

I got to meet Sam - they rescued/adopted him and he is super friendly.

The raspberry season is pretty much over but that didn't stop me from finding lots to snack on.

They just have tons of bushes, even more than last year it seems.

Think someone else was looking for straggler raspberries too.
These little guys were quite plentiful this year too.
Thank goodness they don't bother me like the spruce beetles do otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go outdoors.

Stoking up the fire a bit before we go for a walk.

We usually walk to the road and back once a day while we are here.

It is so quiet and peaceful here - I just love our visits.

We noticed a shaggy mane (a kind of mushroom) on our walk last night so we were on the hunt for them today and we were fortunate to find some.

I've never seen or eaten one before so I was very intrigued.

We could hear the geese overhead - they are heading south for the winter.
It is neat to watch them in their formations, especially when there are gigantic groups of them.
This was a smaller group compared to what we have seen.

The shaggy manes have a very tight window of edibleness and when they pass that window, they start to look like this.
So cool!

Someone dumped some bones just up the road past the inlaws place.
I'm not morbid or anything but I wanted to take a picture of it so I could look it up later on the internet because we couldn't quite figure out what kind of animal skull this was.
I forgot to research it though so I still don't know.

My Honey & his mama on the look out for shaggy manes.

I thought we did very well - this will be plenty for supper.

Here they are all cleaned up and ready to go on the pizza.

Pizza number one is ready to go in the oven.

Look at that smile - it makes him so happy to get to make pizzas in his oven!
Makes my belly happy too!

Doesn't it look delicious?

Very serious about his craft!

Look how pretty - this one had the shaggy manes on it - they were pretty darn good by the way!

After the pizzas were finished, my MIL cooked a gingerbread cake in the residual heat in the oven.
It is amazing how long that thing stays hot for.
We had the gingerbread cake with real whipped cream.
It is so gingery and moist and I just love how it tastes.
I probably could have eaten a few more pieces but I refrained.

We watched another episode of GoT with MIL.

Then we hit the hay!
It was a great day.

That's all for now, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment