Monday 23 October 2017

New Orleans Day Ten - Sculptures and Botanical Garden

Today was our last full day in New Orleans.
We didn't really have anything that we urgently wanted to do so we decided to take the Canal Street trolley and just see where it went.

This restaurant was on a list of best in New Orleans and it was not far from the Canal Street trolley route so we planned to go there for brunch.

The sign was hard see at first because there were so many trees around it.

There was a sign for it across the street too.

There was a whole mural done up for it across the street.

A New Orleans themed mural.

I ended up ordering the seafood pasta with crab cakes.
I don't think we have had crab cakes yet that knocked my socks off.

My Honey had a grilled pork sandwich with onion rings.
The onion rings were kind of weird.

There was an elderly lady sitting right by the front door greeting all the customers as they cam in (you can see her here in front of the window) and I am thinking she may have been Katie.

These two little girls were sitting at a table by themselves. 
I wasn't sure who they were with at first but later on figured out that they were with a gentleman who was doing paperwork at the bar on the other side of this wall.
They were super cute and super entertaining.

They had pizza and they were going crazy with the parmesan shaker.
Here she is actually shaking it straight into her mouth.

They were licking the top of it too - it was making me giggle.
It was also making me rethink all those times I've used a parmesan shaker in a restaurant.
 
They were really good though, they stayed right at their table, mainly in their seats.

Her expression here is priceless.
Needless to say, they entertained me for quite some time.

For dessert we had white chocolate bread pudding and it was actually very good.


Giving me the eye.
 

Taking time to stop and appreciate the flowers.
 
I have never seen one that looked like this before.
It looked like a pom pom or a poof ball.

The bees were still enjoying it just like any other flower.
 
Eventually we hopped back on the trolley and continued to the end of it's route.
All kinds of vehicles drive on the trolley tracks including this one which I think may have been trolly maintenance or something.
 
The tracks mainly ran down the the center between the two  lanes of traffic - you can see all the green and why it would be so appealing to joggers/runners.
 
The trolley line ended right at city park so we thought it would be nice to go walk around in the park for a bit.
 

Arent't the grounds pretty?
Look how green that grass is.

There was a sculpture park and it was free so of course we had to have a look.
 
There were lots of cool sculptures and some not so cool ones.

I really liked the setting of them and that they were out in a park for everyone to enjoy.
 
Goddess of love maybe?

A word smith perhaps?

I liked this one.

I don't get this one - I didn't like it at all.
Abstract art is not my thing.
 
We were crossing a little bridge in the park and saw this little guy.
They were all over the place.
 
Got a bit of a close up before he scittered away.
 

They were some really lovely views.

I call these "interactive sculptures".
It's like they are just inviting you to sit with them.

My Honey sat with the guys and I sat with the girls.
It was so hot and muggy that I couldn't leave my hair down.
This has been the hottest, muggiest weather I have ever experienced.

I didn't care for this one.

I think the artist that did this may be local.

I've seen this work several times around New Orleans since we've been here.
 
 I did really like this horse sculpture.

The spider was creepy but cool.

Awesome.
 
This one was neat.

This was my favorite.
I think because of all the beads you see in the trees around town, it just fit perfectly.
I loved it.

My Honey - being silly.

Just look at all the spanish moss hanging too, we don't have anything like that at home, I think it looks so swampy or something.
I really like seeing it.

Another little gecko or lizard.
 
Tower of violins

This was interesting.
 
 

This one was super cool - a side view

and a front view.

Man covered with birds.

I am not sure of the significance of this one - don't get why she is standing on that poor guy.

Just another view of my favorite - the bead tree.

They had a LOVE sign like in Philadelphia.

I wouldn't mind having this fellow in my garden, he was sweet.

Saw this weird butterfly, it was kind of hopping instead of flying.
My Honey of course had to get some close ups.

My Honey dubbed this one "chrome anus".
 

This one is giant man with teeny tiny head.

There were some nice spots you could just sit and take in the scenery.
It was very quiet and peaceful.

Another one that I jsut don't understand.
It looks like a giant game piece from a Sorry game.

Another one that I don't understand.
It looked cool though.

I guess this is a lounging woman.

Another one that just doesn't do it for me.

I don't understand how this can be considered art?
 
This guy is really just letting it all hang out.

Another one that I don't get.
 
This one has a bit of abstactness to it but I understand what it is and I do like it.
 
It started sprinkling a little and it felt super nice.
We had finished the sculpture garden and were just walking around when it really started to come down.
We were near a building so we went in and it happened to be a little place for coffee & beignets mostly.
 
Morning Call - this is their menu.

It looks like it's been around for awhile.
 

Lots of other folks in there hiding from the rain as well.

My Honey and I.
 
We ordered beignets, mango ice cream and a cafe du lait.
 
We finished eating and the rain didn't seem to want to let up so we decided to just go out and walk in it anyway.
It was so warm out that the rain felt good.
Some more sights from the park.
 
It stopped pouring and it was just kind of misty raining by this point.
This will be good for a before and after picture when I reach my weight loss goals.
 
There was a nice pond with a fountain in the center.

There is something about the expression on this fellows face that I think is charming.

There was a couple under this working out and some kids playing soccer.
I always like seeing these outdoor spaces being used.

Love the swing.
If it hadn't been soaked, I would have sat there for awhile.
We saw lots of them at different areas in the park.

Saw this so I beelined for it to see what it was.
It was Storyland which was a garden inside the Botanical Gardens.
 
We hadn't intended on it but because we were there, we paid to go in and walk around the Botanical Garden.

My Honey captured two of his favorite subjects in this one, insects & flowers.

Everything looked like it was kissed by the dew because of the light sprinkle of rain that was falling.

I've never seen flowers like this before

Just so many varieties of plants - I always enjoy these gardens when we go to them.



I liked the pistil on this one - it was funky looking.
 
This one was gigantic.
 
Some kind of fruit.
I can't remember the name but I'd never heard of it before.

Another new kind of flower for me.
There was a whole archway of these - really cool.

ok - I don't get this statue.
It isn't so bad when you look at it front on but,

from the side it's like "what the heck?"

There were a few kinds of water lilies that I'd never seen before as well.
 
 

These were so cool - I've never seen anything like this before.

There was a little sculpture garden of sorts inside the botanical gardens too.
 
A really pretty fountain.

Another cool sculpture.

One of the artists featured in the garden.

What a great message - love it!

Lovers laying in the grass - I really enjoyed this one - what a great idea.

Windswept.

Don't know what's going on but still like it.

Bathing beauty perhaps?

This one was biblical - alluding to the story of the Ten Commandments.

These were so gorgeous, I would love to have one and a nice tree I could hang it from.
You could light candles in it, I think it would be stunning in a backyard garden.

There was a green house dedicated to orchids.
This one was the most unusual and my favorite.

The others were pretty too though.

Another tropical type flower.

Unusual

I like it.
 
We walked past this pond and into the well manicured grass beyond it where we stumbled upon....

This little fellow.
He was so teeny it was lucky that the lawn was so well manicured or else we might have stepped on him.

Lovely fountain.

More statues.

More flowers.

These were funky looking.

I loved how this flowering vine is covering this archway.
My dream garden will have something like this in it.
I think they were clematis' which I love.

Words of Wisdom.
 
More delicious looking fruit.
Those water droplets make it look so fresh & good.

 
Sunflowers are always so pretty.

This looked like giant okra and it was growing upwards.

When we first came in the garden, a bride was being photographed in front of this wall of flowers.
 
The gardens were getting ready to close and it was still sprinkling rain out a little so we headed back to the trolley and back towards the hotel.
 
These were some of the common sites we saw each day of our trip.
 
The trolley tracks and stores on Canal Street.

Emergency vehicles.
 
I was kind of seafooded out by this point so we went to the hotel and researched a good burger place.
We found one that was a little ways from the hotel but as we had no other plans we walked over there.
 
It was about a 15 minute walk so not that bad really.
It was called The Company Burger.
We hadn't really explored this side of Canal Street since we've been here.

We ordered a burger each, pork rinds with pimento cheese and fries.
It hit the spot perfectly - I even liked the pork rinds (could have left out the pimento cheese though, it didn't add much).

We saw a few interesting stores but they were closed.
 
We did go into a grocery store to look for Pumpkin Spice creamer but we had no luck.
It was fun looking around the store though.
 


Then we just walked back towards the hotel.
The rain had subsided and it was a gorgeous evening.

Love the purple lights on this building.

Just look at all the detail in this trim.
It was on the doorway outside of a hotel.
 
Then because I liked it so much, we decided to take one last ride on the St Charles trolley.
We just rode it all the way to the last stop then turned around and came back.

When we came by here yesterday, they had removed all the skeletons, likely because of Hurricane Nate but I was happy to see that they were all back.
What a pile of work that must have been though.

It looked so awesome.

Lots of people were checking it out.
 
We stopped at Baskin Robbins for an ice cream again - they had a ton of flavors that I liked and it is really good ice cream.
Then we hopped back on the trolley for the last time and went back uptown towards the hotel.

We got lots of steps in today - go us!
 
When we got back to the hotel, I stopped in at the Hard Rock Cafe to pick up a shirt for my son.
I get him one at every Hard Rock we see.
 
Then we went to the room and started packing.
Once we were done, we watched the last episode of Game of Thrones for season 3 and I did my usual Facebook check in.
 
Lots more memories popped up - I love that Facebook has this feature.

This is a little dolly of my sisters - we have the same taste!
 
More from our London Trip.
This day two years ago we went on a bus tour that took us to Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehenge.
It was so awesome.

There is Windsor Castle - the Queen's favorite place to be.
No wonder - the scenery is just stunning.

Castle selfie.

We got to see the changing of the guard.

Got a close up with a Bobby - he didn't move not one inch, he was as still as a statue.
Of course, he actually was a statue - ha ha.

The country side was just gorgeous.
Reminded me of the rolling hills in PEI that I love so much.
We don't see many sheep there though.

Entering the town of Bath.
Europe is just so gorgeous and full of amazing architecture.
I want to come back again and rent a car so we can explore it further.

Checking out the Roman Baths.

They don't allow anyone to bath in them anymore but who would want to?
They look kind of gross.

My Honey & I got seperated briefly so I had to take a selfie in front of the Baths.

Oh, there he is.

We grabbed a little lunch in Bath before hopping back on the bus and heading to.....

Stonehenge!
It is just amazing to see something like this in real life.

Moi

My Honey.

The sun was starting to set as we were leaving so we were able to get some cool shots like this one.

You are Welcome!

It was an awesome tour and a great memory!
 
That is all for today.
Until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment