Sunday 22 October 2017

New Orleans Day Seven - Magazine Street and Lake Pontchartrain

A few more pictures of the hotel room.
The big light over the table was cool looking but My Honey did knock his head on it a few times.

We requested a King Size bed and even though this was big, I think our King size at home is bigger.
Which is odd because I thought they were a standard size but maybe not.

We had nothing scheduled for today - totally agenda free, so we thought it would be a nice day to spend on Magazine St. 

We took the trolley to St.Charles Street then walked over to Magazine Street.
The first thing we did was look for a place to have a bit of breakfast.

Pumpkin Spice Latte with whipped cream!

I don't know what this was about but I like his silly grin.

I ended up getting a salami sandwich.

My Honey got a ham & cheese filled pastry.
I liked his more than mine.

My Honey's favorite - Sunflower.

Another shot - they are just so pretty.

I thought this was a creative work of art.

The famous SnoWizard place was closed.
I've seen this place featured on a few restaurant shows.

More chalkboard sign art.
Whoever drew this pumpkin with a piece of chalk is super talented.

Spooky straw holder.

Fun play on words.

Something My Honey noticed that I did not.
A Famous Praline shop - Tee-Evas Old Fashioned Pies & Pralines

Of course we had to stop in and try a praline - I didn't like it.
It just tasted like fudge and I don't care for fudge - too sugary for me.

They had pecan praline pies so we tried one of them too - I didn't really like it either.
Not that there was anything wrong with it - it just wasn't my thing.

I really liked this house - it's yellow and I like the arched doorway and windows.

New Orleans Flag

More chalkboard art.

One place we walked by had an automatic bubble blower set up outside it's doors.
What a great idea.

The bubble was following me.

Another cool mini trolley car.

More Utility Box Art.

We walked right up Magazine Street until we hit Audubon Park.

I wanted to sit and have a rest, my feet were sore.

We were sitting under a tree and noticed a little squirrel hanging around it.

It was a really pretty park.

Filled with trees.....

and we soon realized, it was filled with squirrels too.

and they weren't shy.

We walked up to a little pond in the park.
It had a pretty fountain.

There were some birds with these fantastic beaks, not sure what they were.

It was loaded with ducks too and they almost looked like they were orange or pink but that may have been the sun playing tricks.

My Honey has a thing for bugs & flowers and I have it for trees.
This one is just gorgeous.
It's the kind of tree you could grab a blanket and a book and just lay under all day.

Got to see the duckies up close and they weren't pink or orange at all.

Just look at all the different kind of trees there were.

The spanish moss hanging from the trees is such a Southern thing to me - it looks really cool.

This house backed right on to the park.
How nice would that be?

I liked their skeletons too.

They looked chill sitting there on the fence.

Just riding her bike, minding her own business.

The homes again were super fabulous!

There was a really nice pathway you could walk down right outside there doors - so lovely.

Another stunner

They go way back too.
I wouldn't want to have to try to keep one of these massive places clean.

Cute spider.


We walked by this place and the lady was out tying rope from her balcony to her fence - I was wondering what she was doing, now I know.

This was just randomly in a tree.

Words of Wisdom from the man himself - Yoda!


We were digging on this little light man.

He was super expensive though.

Eventually our bellies were starting to rumble so we stopped at this pizza place we happened upon.
It was good pizza.

Thinking about something super serious?

Looking out from a store window at us.

KITTY!

I think I am going to try to duplicate this - it's cute.

Oh yeah - apparently there is a hurricane coming.

More great chalk art.

On a fence - creative.

Ariel still looks happy despite her current situation.

They even decorate their waste bins here.

Typical New Orleans Street.

We had been hearing a lot about Lake Pontchartrain so I wanted to get out there to check it out.
Since a hurricane was on the way tomorrow, we didn't know if it would cause any damage or not so we figured tonight might be our only chance to get out there.

The consierge recommended a couple of places to eat so we hopped in a cab and headed out there.

They love their flag here (as they should) and I think it is a wonderful flag too (I am partial to Canada's flag though just to be clear).

There was a really nice deck with a lovely view of the lake but it was too full so we had to eat inside.

The inside of the place was great as too and we were actually looking at it thinking that when we build our home in PEI someday, this is how we want the building to look.

Dark picture but it's the only one I got of us there.

My Honey had blackened catfish and jambalaya.

I had hake with crab and hollandaise sauce.
Kind of skimpy on the asparagus but it was delicious - the potato salad was really super good too.

As we were sitting there eating, I noticed that it was Happy Hour and oysters were on sale, so I called the waitress over and ordered some of those too.

After we ate, we walked around and explored.
Nice looking yacht.


Right along the lake would be a great place for a game of hopscotch on a sunny day.

This was another of the restaurants the consierge had recommended.
If we are ever back here, we will most definitely have to try it out.

So this is Lake Pontchartrain.
Looks more like the ocean than a lake.

I bet this would be a gorgeous place to walk along on a sun shiny day.

It looked like the walkway beside the lake went on for miles.

It was starting to get rough too, likely due to the tropical storm/hurricane heading this way.

My Honey was trying to get a close up shot of the waves.
He was a little too close for my comfort but I reigned in my inner worry wart and let him do his thing.

He caught a couple of good shots of the waves crashing against the edge - like this one,

and this one.
Despite the lack of sunshine, it was still nice walking along the lake.

These two ladies were much braver than I - I am sure they were perfectly safe.

My Honey.

We came across this fellow feeding the seagulls.

He would throw it up and they would catch it right in the sky.
It was fun to watch.

Lots were showing up to get in on the action and grab a treat for themselves.

The sun was starting to set and the sky looked stunning.

The purples and blues were just so pretty.

Lots of other folks were out enjoying it too.

We walked along the waters edge for a bit but then it started to rain so we headed back - so did everyone else.
We weren't sure how bad it would get.

We walked back to the restaurant and I called a cab.
We were kind of worried that a repeat of Texas would occur.
We took a cab from our hotel to a near by Walmart our first night there and it took over two hours to get a cab back.
Turned out cabs didn't normally service the area.
I ended up downloading the Uber app while we were standing there (in the Walmart parking lot in Texas) then signing up for it and was just about to order up a ride when a cab finally showed up for us.

That didn't happen tonight though and a cab showed up in about 15 minutes.
We headed back to the hotel and called it a night.

Back home, my boy & his girl were heading on a road trip to Drumheller.
They posted this sweet picture.
I hope they have a good time.

This was actually posted on the Louise Haye's Facebook page yesterday but it's a great affirmation and I wanted to remember it.


Of course more London trip memories popped up too, here is My Honey in front of Kensington Palace.
Such an elaborate gate.

This was something we saw a lot in London too and it was actually quite helpful.
Coming from Canada/North America, our natural instinct is to look to the left first before stepping into the road as that is the direction the traffic comes from.
Here they drive on the opposite side of the road and I almost stepped into oncoming traffic a few times so these were very handy reminders.









No comments:

Post a Comment