Tuesday 19 September 2023

Freya's First Terry Fox Run (Sept.17, 2023)

 Freya wanted to go swimming again this morning and I'd had a shower so Jason took her and I walked down and got us some breakfast from Tim Horton's.

Jason registered us all for the Terry Fox run this morning and it starts at 11.

It's at Kinsmen park right by the Walter Dale Bridge and we considered walking there but we didn't have much time plus we didn't want to tucker Freya out before we even got there.

Jason and I both got t-shirts last year or maybe the year before - mine is a bit small for me so Freya was happy to wear it.

There were already lots of people milling about.

All you had to do when you got there was sign in and then if you wanted you could fill out a sticker to say who you were running for.
I picked my Dad and Jason picked his Grandma but there were so many other people that we've lost to cancer that we were thinking about today.

Team picture.

Me and my sweet girl.

Awww -I love getting hugs from her.

We really want to expose her to runs like this - we are hoping it's something we can do together lots.

Ready to do this thing!

The organizer of the event got up and made a speech.

It was so emotional suddenly - not anything he said particularly but just the whole vibe.
It wasn't bad - it was just that everyone is touched by cancer and it really just hits you here for some reason.
Then they had all the cancer survivors that were there running today come up - they wear red shirts and boy, did the water works ever start then.
So emotional and so beautiful - just felt like a whole lot of love enveloping all of them and everyone else there.
It was an amazing feeling really - hard to describe but very wonderful.
I think it totally embodied exactly what Terry Fox was all about.

Then before we headed out, we all did a warm up together which really lightened the mood and got everyone pumped up.

Freya was having a grand time doing all the exercises.

Pump it up!

So you could run anything between 1k and 10k - it was an out and back so you could just go as far as you wanted.
Jason planned on doing the 10k - I was just going to do whatever I could manage with Freya.

We started off good, she did some running, some walking.

There were these signs all along the way so it was marked really well.

It went all along the river and it's very pretty this time of year.
We were lucky that we had a nice day for it too.

We got to the 2k mark then she started getting tired.

I tried to make it to the 2.5k mark before we turned back but by 2.4 she was done.

She wanted to sit and rest, she wanted me to get us a scooter, ha ha - funny girl.

I ended up putting her on my back.
Jason passed by us on his way back.
He only had 1 km left to go so he went ahead to finish and said he'd come back once he was done.

I got him to help put Freya on my shoulders and we all carried on.
He did come back for us but we were nearly back at the park by then.

He took over carrying her until we got a little ways away from the finish line then she and I ran the rest of the way.

Her first run complete!

She really wanted to go swimming again but we didn't have time so instead we let her pick where to go for supper and she picked ramen, again.
So we went to Hu's Noodle Nook again - she wanted her own bowl of ramen, she didn't want to share.

So we got her a bowl of her own and ordered her an extra egg.

She just loves the eggs and she loves the noodles too.

Down the hatch.
We found out afterwards that she had ramen on Friday night when they came in too with Haylee.
That's ramen 3 days in a row - she loves it even more than Jason does.

I didn't feel like having ramen again so I had spring rolls and tempura vegetables.
The spring rolls were good - the tempura was too greasy, I didn't really care for it.

They had a bubble tea place next door and I got one on the way out, Freya watched videos while we waited.

We stopped and got groceries - I want to get back to following Weight Watchers - I know I haven't been eating well and I likely will be up on the scale tomorrow.
Making sure I have healthy options on hand will set me up for success.

Freya was taking selfies in the car and after she took a bunch, she showed Jason and I.

OMG - what a turkey.

This almost doesn't look like her.

Extreme mouth close up.

Silly faces.

Oh no - looks like she's smoking a taki.
I sure hope smoking is a habit she doesn't pick up EVER.

I don't know what she's doing here.

Whatever it takes to entertain yourself on a 2+ hour drive I guess.

It was around 7 when we got back to town and she did NOT want us to drop her off at home, she wanted to come over for a visit.
So we let her and Kody and Haylee dropped by a bit later to pick her up.

My cousin shared this picture of the barn at my grandmothers and it brought back so many memories.

Hurricane Lee made landfall in NS and this is at the boardwalk just by my sister's place.

The waves were crashing up onto the road - this is the road Jason and I would run on everyday when we were there.
Looks nasty but so far nobody had been hurt - not much damage was done so best case scenario.


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment