Sunday 12 May 2024

A Day in Regina - Cafe Francois and Mercury Cafe & Grill (Apr.27, 2024)

We woke up to sunshine - my fave.

 

The VRBO we rented.

You just follow the sidewalk around the corner and the park is right there, literally about 5 houses away.

Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me.

Freya wanted to go over to play at the park again so she and Jason walked over.
I went and got us coffees then I met them over there.

It's called Candy Cane Park so it has the red and white markers.

It's in a big park called Wascana Park and there is a big lake there that the park is all around.

There is kind of a better view of it.
There are trails all over the place - seems like a great place to run and I'd love to come back another time and check out all the trails with our bikes.

The playground itself is quite a big playground with lots of equipment.

Jason and Freya were running around playing some game she invented being whatever characters she thought up at random.

The park has this huge Canada Goose slide.

It's kind of weird that half of it's head kind of seems like it's missing.

But that's where you come down the slide.

This is just looking at it from the other side.
Weird but interesting.

We could have spent all day at the park and Freya would have been fine with that.

While they played, I went for a bit of a walk to look around.

There was this viewing deck that looks out over the water.

I could see trails going under it and all around the lake.

It was a pretty big lake.

Freya still playing away.
It was hard to get her to leave but we convinced her finally with the promise of a good breakfast.

We found a place called Cafe Francois that had good ratings.


I had the Eggs-quisite - 2 Eggs, bacon, house Potatoes, banana-lemon curd Brioche French toast with vanilla Chantilly cream.

Jason had the Smoked Salmon Croissant - Smoked wild sockeye salmon lox, lettuce, capers and sour cream with Dijon mustard on house baked croissant.

Freya just wanted eggs and bacon - it came with their version of hash browns (fried potato slices really), Jason and I helped her eat those.

She loves a runny egg.
Haylee's Aunt lives in Regina and she has a son and a daughter so Rita gave us her number so that we could get in touch with her while we were here and possibly they could watch Freya while we do the run.
Freya was here in the fall visiting Emily and Eric so all morning long she kept asking about them.
I called Kim (the Aunt) and left a message but did not hear back but Freya just would not let up.

Eventually I ended up calling Kim's husband and she said of course Freya could come over so we dropped Freya off then headed out to do some exploring.

Regina has tons of antique stores so we spent a bit of time looking around in a few of those.
I got some rusty old muffin tins for a project I want to make.

We walked around a little artsy area with shops and restaurants.

Then we decided to get a bite to eat, found an old fashioned diner spot that looked good, Mercury Cafe & Grill.

It was just like an old fashioned diner inside down to the black and white check floor and the red seats.
Very retro vibe.

It looks like it's been around for a long time and the service was great.

We ordered the BLT sandwich with a side salad.

And the Beef Dip with a side of soup and we shared.
The food was simple but good - if I lived nearby I'd likely be here often.

Then we found an ice cream spot - it was lined up but that didn't stop us!

Jason got the Dole whip in mango and raspberry.

It was giant.

I wanted the orange and vanilla dole whip made into a hot fudge sundae but they messed up my order and just gave me a regular old hot fudge sundae similar to what you would get at McDonald's.

I was kind of bummed because I wanted to try the orange but they were so busy that I just took it and didn't mention anything.
It was fine.

We happened upon a cat cafe.

It had just closed for the day but we still go to look at all the kitties in the window.

There were so many of them.
A bunch of people were leaving the cafe when we happened upon it so at least the kitties are getting lots of loving.

We went back to our VRBO and parked the car then went for a walk in the park - we wanted to find out where we were supposed to go for the start of the race in the morning.
Figured it would be better to go searching for it now rather than in the morning before the run.

We found some cute little spots.

It really is a very nice park and with all the paths I was wishing we'd brought our bikes.
Next time.

Jason photo bombing me.

So we took one of the both of us.

On our walk back to the house Kim texted to say that Freya was ready to be picked up so we went over and picked her up.
We noticed there was a Marshall's nearby and I wanted to stop in to get a few things.

Freya refused to come in so Jason stayed in the car with her while I ran in to have a look.

I found a few things for her and wanted her to pick out which she wanted so I took pictures and sent them to Jason.

She loves these jumpsuits - they come in a set of two and they are very reasonably priced.

I found a similar set of two but these were shorts instead of pants.

This was the second short set that came with the green flowered one above and this was what she chose.

I also saw this set that looked comfy but she wasn't into it.

I went back to the car then Jason ran in quickly and had a look too.
We also made a stop at Walmart to pick up a few things and then we just went back to the house.

Freya was tired and didn't really want to go anywhere so we just ordered some pizza in for supper.
Regina has their own style of pizza so we wanted to try it.
It wasn't very good.

Some horsing around went on.

Also another trip to the park then we got to bed early.
Jason is running a half marathon in the morning.
I was supposed to be running to, originally I was doing a half then dropped to a 10k then to a 5k.

Kim said she'd watch Freya for me if I ran but I wasn't sure if i wanted to get up in the morning, get her ready, drive her over to Kim's, drive back here then hike over to the race but we'll see how I'm feeling in the morning.

Back home, Alivia is in another Dance Competition this weekend and they got gold for their dance today!


That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment