Monday 5 September 2016

Party in the Park

I slept in again today, I think I see a trend happening for this weekend!

 My friend & I took a trip to Whitecourt this morning to go to Party in the Park in Whitecourt.  They have vendors showcasing food from around the world.  We had a booth there last year to raise money for a few charities and although we weren't participating this year, we still wanted to check it out.  Plus we were meeting her daughter and grandchildren there.

 I would have liked to try those ball things, think they would be fun.

 They had some live entertainment going on and in between, they would get some of the audience members involved.  Two of my friend's grandchildren got in on the action.

 There were lots of inflatables set up for the children to enjoy, which they did!

 They had some Caribbean dancers.  I felt for them because it turned out to be a very cold and windy day.  They were smiling and having fun though.


They also had a group of natives in their spirit wear. 

 They each did a dance and the lady would tell the stories behind each one and I thought it was very interesting.  I have seen lots of this dancing before and this type of clothing but never really new the significance behind it.  Each outfit is different and is made just for that person.
I thought this little fellow did a great job up there dancing by himself.

 This young lady was next, I can tell now that she is a horse lover because of all the horses on her dress.  You can also see how windy it was but it looked awesome when she would dance and all those tassels were flying about.

 I was waiting to see the "jingle dress" dance.  You could even hear them over the music.  She told the story of how the jingle dress came about - a young girl was sick and her father dreamed that she was wearing one & dancing and the community was all around her.  So the community made the dress for her and gave it to her.  They gathered all around her and she had it on and began to dance.  At first slowly because she was so ill and weak but as she danced, she gathered strength from the love of her community around her and danced faster and all that love and well wishes from her community strengthened her and healed her.
Nice story!

 This young guy also looked wonderful and proud. Nice to see a young person so proud of their heritage.

 Next we hit up the face painting booth.  There was a bit of a line up.

 It was worth the wait though.  Someone loves her colorful spiderweb.  Those ladies did an awesome job.

 My Honey sent me a picture of the new friend he made at work today.

After we left Whitecourt we decided to go visit our coworker/friend who just recently lost her son.  She lives on an acreage and I'd been there once in the past but it was night so I was uncertain how to get there.  We got directions from another coworker and headed out.  W

We ended up going the wrong way so what should have been a 40 minute trip ended up taking an hour and a half.  That's ok though, we just considered it an adventure.  Plus I had never really driven back in that area before and the scenery was quite beautiful. I was also surprised with how many homes are back there.  I drive on the main highway past there often and it looks like just wooded area on both sides, very deceiving.

We had a nice visit with the family and I am very glad that we stopped by.  I can't even begin to imagine how they feel but I hope we took their minds off of it if only for a little while.  I also wanted to make sure they knew that we cared and that we were thinking of them. 

We ended up getting home quite a bit later than I thought I would when I left this morning but it was a good day.

  My Honey ended up getting home from work long before I made it home.  He heard that we were supposed to get snow tonight so he went out and made a little arrangement with some of our wild flowers out front.  Multi-talented or what?

 My mom came by after I got home and colored my hair for me.  As you can see, I am happy that all the grey is covered up again (for a couple of weeks anyway).  I am happy with the color.

We watched a few more episodes of Stranger Things while mom was here and I think she liked it to.
My Honey had warmed up a couple of pizzas so that was supper.

Fitbit Stats - As is plain to see, I did not reach my goals.  I didn't even work out today which I feel bad about but it is what it is.  Tomorrow is another day, we'll see how it goes.

Until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment