Saturday 4 June 2022

Missed Half Marathon, Levain Bakery, Queen's Night Market and Doctor Strange (May 14, 2022)

So Jason had us signed up to run a half marathon this morning in Flushing Meadows Park.
We went there yesterday just to make sure we knew where it was and it took us about 30 minutes to get there so we gave ourselves and hours this morning as we had to pick up our race packets too.

We were out the door on time but then for some reason when we got to the subway, I wasn't really paying attention and we hopped on the wrong one.

I realized right away but it was too late, we had to go all the way into Manhattan then jump off, go to the other side then come all the way back.

That cost us a lot of time so by the time we got to Flushing Meadows Park, we only had 15 minutes to get our race packs and get the starting line.

I had to use the washroom so I sent Jason on for the packs and said I would meet him at the start.

I figured it would be easy to find, there should be lots of people around.

Well, it wasn't.

It is a huge park and I couldn't find the starting line at all.

I ended up calling Jason and he had to come and walk and meet me and by that time the race had started so we decided not to bother running it.

Instead we went over to Central Park to run.

Jason was still going to run 21k anyway and I decided I would just run for 2 hours and see how many km's I could complete in that time.

I started off inside the park but kept circling back on myself and getting mixed up on where I was going to I ultimately decided to go right on the outside of the park and ran on the sidewalk there all around the park.

My exercise details and average heartrate.

My average pace and splits.
7.22 is pretty darn good for an 18k run in my opinion.

My video check in.

I ended up getting 18k run which wasn't too shabby.
Made me feel good because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to run that half marathon this morning.
I ran just 3km shy of it but I think I could have run the 3 more if I had too.

It took me 2 hours and 12 minutes which I thought was pretty good.

I met up with Jason (he completed the 21k) and since we were kind of nearby, 

we decided to head over to Levain Bakery to get a cookie.

They have kind of a simple menu.

We got a few cookies to try.

This is the one we were looking forward to most, chocolate chip walnut.

Their cookies are huge and ooey gooey good.
It was fabulous.

Walking back to the subway, we were starting to get hungry so decided to stop for some breakfast.
We found a little spot called Community and they could seat us right away which was awesome.

It was nice out so of course we decided to eat outside.

I had lemon ricotta pancakes and they hit the spot!

After our breakfast, we headed back to the hotel to wash up and change.
It was already getting late in the day by then.

We kind of hung out in the room and rested a bit, we were both kind of tired from our early morning then long run.

We wanted to go see Doctor Strange tonight but first, we went back to Flushing Meadows Park again, this time for the Queen's Night Market.

We'd been once before and there is all kinds of food vendors to try out and we liked it but it had rained the night we were there so we didn't stay as long as we would have liked to.

Just a statue in the park.

We got off the same subway stop that we've been getting off to come to the park yesterday and today but it turned out to be quite far away from where the market actually was so we were walking all over the park looking for it.

Finally found it and wouldn't you know it, it started raining again.
Guess we are just meant to experience this market in the rain.

I think the blue tents are all food vendors.

Then the orange tents are goods vendors - we didn't even really look at those.

The first thing I saw that I wanted to try was the black sesame doughnut/pancake thing.
It was ok.

There was still a good turnout in spite of the rain which was nice.

We got a few things to try then found a bench to sit at and eat it.
We had to use our napkins to wipe off the seats.
I can't remember what we tried - nothing really stands out as being completely amazing.

Using my sweater as a hood.

We were satisfied with the few things that we'd tried so after we finished them we headed to the movie theatre.
If it hadn't been raining we'd likely have stayed longer.

We saw Doctor Strange and we both enjoyed it.
We've seen a few of the Marvel movies in NYC now.

The rain had stopped and we weren't that far from our hotel room so we were able to just walk back after the show.
It was another nice evening.

I think this is the most steps I've ever put on in a single day.
No wonder I was tired by the time we got back to the hotel.

That's all for today, until next time, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment