Sunday 17 July 2016

New York City Day 11 - Catch Up

So it's our last full day here in NYC for this trip.  My Honey discovered a little farmers market right in LIC not too far from our hotel so we headed over there first thing.  We saw some interesting things on our walk over.  We have learned on our various trips that you often stumble upon cool things.


This was just randomly painted on the sidewalk.


Guess someone wanted to make a memorial to their hanger?


See what a great guy I have, he carries my back pack for me!


This was just parked on the side of the road.


My brother has a print of the skyscraper workers in his place.  This life size statue was so lifelike.


Each fellow was different.  What an awesome thing to stumble upon.


Light bulb ghosties!


What a great spot to have a haunted house.


Such amazing artwork, the clown is just as creepy as he should be.

 It was just a little farmers market but it didn't just have the same old thing that you see in all the other street markets so that was a nice change.

 We tried this place first.

 They had some interesting taco choices, we went with the fish one first.  He said we'd be back for more.

 There it is, the fish taco

 It was fabulous and he was right.

 We went and got two more, the calamari and the chicken.  They were all very good.  This is a taco place that I would visit again and again.

 Saw they had a new flavor so I had to give it a try.  The grapefruit is still my favorite and the blood orange.
I saw these home made twinkies and had to try one.

 Nice presentation.  We spoke to the girl selling them and she said her husband is a hockey coach that works with the Washington Capitols and he is trying to convince her to move to Vancouver.  I thought that was kind of neat.

They filled it right there on the spot.

 Of course I chose the maple bacon one and it was good. 

 This next place My Honey wanted to try.

 While we were waiting for our dumplings I was watching this little fellow make bubbles. Funny how making bubbles can entertain folks of all ages for hours.

 
The dumplings looked and tasted really good.

 Just enjoying this sunshiny day.

This little one was cute pushing around her baby stroller.

 We had Bao's in Vancouver and they were so delicious that we figured we better have them again while we could.

 I wasn't crazy about the meat on these, but the buns were delicious.

When you see a chocolate bacon cake pop, I think the rule is that you have to get one, and I am no rule breaker.
I also had to try this just because.  It was a bacon marshmallow macaroon sandwich.  It was a bit much marshmallow for me but the macaroons were incredible.

This sign made me chuckle.

The artwork by this fellow at the market was clever and unique.  We really like it so we ended up purchasing three pieces.
 My Honey's pick

 My Pick

The joint pick.  It's the little write ups that go with the pictures that make them so fun for me.

 This was my fourth beverage since arriving at the Farmers market (told you it was hot). It was a lemonade muddled with fresh mango.  OMG, I drank it in like 5 seconds.

 Some more fabulous artwork on the building across the street from the market.

 How could you not look at it and just enjoy it?

 Just me and the trees!

Wasn't sure if this guys was going to be able to ride his bike and carry this at the same time....

looks like he managed.

 Some serious Hello Kitty graffiti!

 It takes artist of all kinds to make the street art what it is.  I believe there is a place for stickmen for sure!
 More of the artistry just across the street from our hotel room

 Looks far nicer than just having an old steel roll up door I think.

 Fabulous.

 Then we headed over to another street fair that My Honey found out about, Bastille Days.

It was so packed with people you could barely make it through the crowd.

There was face painting....

Folks dressed up displaying their French pride

 Unhappy pugs...

 So much watermelon...

I just had to have some

 Elvis was even there!

We basically just made our way through it as quickly as we could then sat at the entrance to Central Park to decide on our next move.  Noticed these flower sculptures which I'd never seen before. 

 
We decided to go back to the bakery in Brooklyn that we'd liked so much and lo and behold, there was a Bastille Days celebration going on there as well. They had a few serious games of Bocci going on.  There weren't nearly as many folks at this one but still a good crowd.

This bakery is sooooo good.  Will have to add it to our list of places to revisit.

 We tried the pecan pie (yummy)

and we just couldn't resist, we had the passionfruit tart again.  This is one of the most delicious things I have ever had, EVER!

 See how happy it made us!

 Another clever sandwich board sign.

 He might have come home with me if the store had been open.  My Honey and I have kind of a poodle love/hate thing going on.

 Really?  Is this their headquarters?

 Cute little greenhouse right on the street.

 Love it!

 Kept seeing this in the subway and the "Hot Trash Odor" made me laugh.

 Saw a noodle place when we got off the subway so picked it for supper.  Noodles are one of My Honey's favorites and I we don't often have them while in NYC.

 Mine was actually really good.

 Because there were no shows on broadway this evening we opted to see The BFG in 3D.  It was exactly what you would expect for a Roald Dahl movie and we liked it.

First I saw that this was being made into a movie.  I read the first book and thought it was cute.  I look forward to seeing the movie.

So that was our 2016 trip to NYC.  It was fun but I was also ready to go home.  I know we will be back again.  The energy, the vibe, the shows, the food, the sights, we love it all and it keeps us coming back and I know we will continue to visit for years to come.

Until next time NYC! Be Happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment