Wednesday 26 April 2017

NYC 2017 Day One

After having some complimentary breakfast at the hotel, we headed out to the Subway station.
Turns out it was 6 blocks away from the hotel, they did have shuttle service that ran every half hour but we wanted to look around and see what was nearby.
There wasn't much, mainly car shops and warehouse type buildings but there were a few little diners.
There were some cherry trees though and they were so pretty.

We got our subway tickets.  We always buy the unlimited 7 day ones, they are $32 and you can go anywhere the subway goes.  Even though we will only be here for 4 days we still think it is a good value.  If there are days left on them when we leave, we usually give them to the hotel clerk and ask them to pass them along to someone who could use them.

We headed down to the TKTS booth in lower Manhattan as the one in Times Square doesn't open until 3pm.  We got off at the station by Century 21 so of course I had to pop in and check out the shoes.  I didn't really find any good deals.  I've been finding them a little more expensive the last couple of years.

There was a little line up at the TKTS booth but not much.  We weren't sure what show we wanted to see but settled on Groundhog Day.

The tulips were looking beautiful too.  Hard to believe everything is in bloom here when back home everything is still covered in snow.

We kind of just bummed around lower Manhattan for a bit, looked for a place to have some lunch.
We came across this little place and decided to check it out.
The Paris Café - apparently one of the oldest bars in NYC.
The actual bar inside was quite ornate and fabulous.

My Honey ordered the chowder to start - it was delicious, best part of the meal.

I had the pulled pork nachos.  They were good, it had black beans on it which I love!

I had to test some of My Honey's fries out too.
All in all it was a very good meal and I would go back again to try more of their menu items.

There were these cool fixtures in the bar, and these old fashioned light bulbs are so neat looking.

Right outside was a view of the Brooklyn Bridge.  I just love the look of it.

Up the street a bit further was this great mural, made out of metal then the design was cut into it.  It was hard to get a picture of the whole thing because it was so long.
The details when you looked up close were great.
Saw this sign on our travels, I thought it was funny.

We watched the episode of Chef's Night Out when Paulie Gee was the featured chef and he went to this place for some pizza and since we were in the general neighbourhood, we decided to go check it out.

You know it's good when it is lined up out the door!
We tried the same ones that Paulie Gee had - a slice of the Signature Square & a slice of the Spicy Spring.
They were both so good, I can't pick a favorite between the two but most definitely worth the excursion over there.

After our pizza we headed back to the hotel hoping that a room would be ready for us so we could have a nap.  We got there around 4:30pm & did get a room but that didn't leave us much time as our show tonight was at 7:00pm
We did have a bit of a lie down though & it wasn't long but it helped to perk us up a bit.

We grabbed the shuttle back to the Subway station this time.  Still had to climb up 3 stories to get to our platform and boy am I out of shape.  I was so out of breath when I reached the top.

The marquee for our show.  I would have tried to get a shot without all the scaffolding but we just made it there in time.

The show was entertaining, not the best we have seen but far from the worst.  It had some really good parts and the way they did the car chase was very creative.  I wish I could have taken a picture because it is hard to explain!

After the show we got a snack before heading to back to the hotel.
My Honey got, you guessed it, pizza!

I opted for frozen yogurt.

We headed over to Times Square - still as amazing to see as ever!

And found a spot to sit and have our snacks.

My phone died so I had My Honey take a picture of this sign, it cracked me up, probably because it is partly true!

It felt so good when my head hit the pillow and the bed, bedding and pillows were all AMAZING!

That's all for today, until next time, be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment