Wednesday 26 April 2017

NYC 2017 Day Two

We were quite tired so we slept in a bit this morning.  It's vacation though so nothing wrong with sleeping in a bit if you ask me.
I am always amazed with some of the details that went into the subway stations, there are all these mosaics in the undergrounds with the names of each stop and then this one had all these stained glass windows.

We spend a lot of our time here while in New York - we are becoming pros!

This is how it looked a lot this trip because of my sore foot/feet - me sitting, My Honey standing.  He is such a gentleman.  Gave me a few sweet foot rubs too!

We headed down to the South Street Seaport TKTS Booth again to get some tickets for tonight.
Afterwards we looked for a place to have some lunch.

We found this teeny little place called Mooncake Foods.  It looked busy so we figured it must be good.

They brought out this homemade jalapeno sauce  - yum yum.
It had a really bright, delicious flavor - best part of the meal by far.
If they aren't already, they should bottle this stuff and sell it.
*Note the subway map - big, huge help to us, we never leave the hotel room without it.

We order a few appetizers - Lobster & Mango Summer Rolls - they were just ok.

Crawfish Dumplings - also just ok.

My meal - Spicy Hoisin Fish Taco - I didn't like it AT ALL.

My Honey's choice - Short Ribs Shanghai Style - they might have been ok but they were extremely fatty.
All around disappointment as far as I am concerned.

We left there and headed to Sakura Park, supposedly it had lots of cherry trees and as they are blossoming right now we decided to go check it out.

We got off the subway station right at Columbia University Campus.

There were some blooms there.
Everything is so ornate.

It was a very beautiful campus, made me nostalgic for my school/university days.
I imagine it would be such a great place to go to school.  Great campus and right in the city where so much is going on.
It surely is!

More blossoms - they were just so beautiful.

Must have while in NYC!

My Honey likes the cashews the best - I am in total agreement!

We found the park - there were only 3 cherry trees there.
We were puzzled until we discovered later that there is another Sakura Park in Brooklyn and that it is the one with all the cherry trees.

Rainbow bus.

Grants Tomb was just across the street from the park so we walked over to have a look.
There were all these mosaics all around it and although they were beautiful pieces of art, we didn't really feel like they fit in.  Just our humble opinions.

Selfie Time - I really need to get me a selfie stick.
I don't really see them around as much as I used to.

So many wonderful buildings around here.  So much detail.  So much work went into them and I for one appreciate all of that effort. 

Cherry blossom close up.  When I lived in NS there was a cherry tree across the street from me and I looked forward to spring every year just to see it in bloom because it was just spectacular.

Another thing I love about NYC, these fire escapes.  I've always had romantic notions about sitting out on the fire escape on a hot summer night with an ice cold drink and a captivating book.

Looking at our map to figure out what to do next, I discovered that we weren't really that far from Marcus Samuelson's restaurant, just a mere 24 blocks, so we headed over in that direction.
I've been wanting to go for some time now so figured we might as well get it done.

We were nearly there when I decided to check out their hours on my phone.  Turns out they close between 3:00pm and 4:30pm - it was 3:00pm!

My feet were starting to hurt and I really needed a rest so we headed toward Central Park looking for a place to sit for a while.  We came across a coffee spot so we went in and had some drinks and rested for a bit.
It turned out to be right beside a subway station that was only two stations away from the stop for Red Rooster Harlem so we hopped on and headed that way at 4:00.

There was a Marshall's right at the stop when we got off and I suddenly had this crazy desire to get myself a pair of Converse sneakers.  Seems everyone I saw was wearing them and my feet were so sore that I thought they might be a nice switch.  So we went shopping.

Ended up with some sweet new kicks!  They were only $30 bucks a pair so I figured why not?
The prices here were far better than Century 21 - will need to come back for another shopping trip our next visit.

It was around 5 when we finally headed to Red Rooster Harlem

I tried to make reservations on my phone but no go - it said they welcomed walk ins though so we gave it a shot.

They did seat us right away but at one of those communal tables that I hate.
It's weird sitting at a table with other people like that.

I have been wanting to try the fried chicken or "Yard Bird" for quite some time now.  I see Marcus Samuelson on the Food Network often and I like him.  His fried chicken is supposed to be one of the best.

Happy that we made it.

Had nowhere to put my purse so I had to hold it.  It was kind of awkward.

We tried the corn bread - of course - I do love me some corn bread.  It was good.

We also tried the Deviled Eggs.  The eggs were pickled and they were sitting on "chicken skin mayo" and it was YUMMY!

It had a really great atmosphere.  The servers were all dressed like they came straight from a 1950's jazz joint, the whole place kind of had that feel.  I really liked that.

They had some great pieces too, loved these stools.

and I guess I have a thing for light fixtures because I sure seem to notice them a lot.  I really liked these ones.

My Honey ordered Aunt Maybel's Dumplings (which were just like gnocchi) - I think he liked it ok.

I obviously had the Yard Bird.  I am sorry to say that my socks were not knocked off.
I am glad I came and was able to try it out but I have certainly had better.

We ordered dessert to go - doughnuts (they were ok) and I ordered the banana pudding.
Shouldn't have bothered because it ended up melting and getting over everything inside my purse.
It was a giant sticky mess.
When we got back to the hotel, I did try some of what was left in the to-go container and it was very good.  Kind of wish I hadn't been so full at dinner or maybe had skipped the meal and just went for dessert instead.

We left there and headed uptown to our show for this evening. 
My marquee shot.

I have never seen a set up like this before.  A lot of the audience was seated right up on the stage and then there were stages placed at different places out in the audience.  Interesting.

I really wanted to see it because Josh Groban was in it.  He did a great job too.
The show was different than anything I've seen before.  I was ok - They did give these egg shaped moracas out to the audience so we could participate and that was fun.


After the show we stopped at a little place for gyros.  We had one our first trip here at a street vendor near Central Park and it was the best we ever had.  We have been getting them ever since but have never found another that was as good.
This one was ok though.

Stopped at a store to grab a few things and got me some of these bad boys. 
I love, love, love Chex Mix.  The Cheddar and the Spicy are my favorites.
I have had no luck finding them at home so when in the States always get me a bag.
Tasted pretty good while I was laying in the bed getting a foot rub from My Honey.

That's a wrap for Day 2.

Until next time, be happy!











No comments:

Post a Comment